What do you know about rugby?

Not much

When we think university sports teams, there’s one group of people that almost instantly come to mind – the rugby lads. They’re loud, proud and hard to miss, but aside from the heavy drinking and notorious initiations, what do KCL students actually know about rugby? It turns out no one knows very much about it at all.

quelle surprise

Lucy Mealey, 3rd year medic, ‘I don’t know much about the rules.. but GKT is probably better at it than KCL. They’re better at everything else.’
An unsurprising response from this Guys bar veteran.

‘erm…’

‘Nothing… I mean I know absolutely nothing. Has anyone else said nothing? I’ll feel better if I’m not the only one who knows nothing about Rugby.’

‘what’s that thing where they all sort of huddle..?’

Alice Dang, exchange student from France, European Studies and Benjamin Buckley, 2nd year Computer Science
‘We really don’t know anything’ ‘Wait! I know that they tackle’ ‘Well yeah they tackle and the scrum… I know there’s something called a scrum’ ‘Yeah what’s that thing where they all sort of huddle…?’ ‘That’s the scrum.’

‘balls.’

Hope Moon, 3rd year English literature.
‘what do you know about rugby?’
‘Balls.’

She’s not impressed

Anna Morrison, 3rd year, business management.

‘The boys think they’re gents but they’re really not.’

It seemed that KCL was pretty much in the dark as to the actual rules of the game itself, so we asked team member and 3rd year philosophy student Josh Boyle if he could shed any light on the sport for us.

‘I have a wide range of facial expressions’

Josh had this to say , ’15 guys try to take the ball down to the other side of the pitch and score, 15 other guys try to stop them, get the ball off them, and do the same thing. Simple. Oh, and you can’t throw the ball forwards. It’s not rocket science.’