Yes, Daily Mail, women have legs! Here’s everything else you should know about us, too

This is 2017, right?

Hide Images

Today’s front page news story on the Daily Mail photographs Prime Minister Theresa May and First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon sitting next to each other. These women are arguably two of the most powerful people in the UK, so it would seem quite obvious this front page news is going to be important, right?

Wrong – instead of the Daily Mail commenting on how the two professional (yes, you read that correctly) women are discussing a potential referendum, and the effects of Brexit and how it would affect the country, they thought instead, let’s talk about the way they look.

“Never mind Brexit, who won Legs-it!” – That’s right, I give you a genuine front page headline one of the leading UK newspapers have printed in 2017. It talks about two women’s legs, as if they couldn’t think of anything else worthwhile.

So here, Daily Mail: I thought, if you didn’t know that women had legs, you might not know this either.

Women have eyes

We can see out of them

Women also have lips

We use our mouth to speak sometimes, much to your dismay

Women have arms, feet, ears, breasts, a stomach, a vagina

We have shoulders, a back, elbows, knees, a bum, too – it’s so weird isn’t it?

Woman Marie Curie suggested using radiation to kill cancer

She founded the elements radium and polonium and invented the word “radioactivity” all the while fighting against prejudices because she was a woman.

Maria Telkes, a woman, created the first ever 100 per cent solar controlled house

She created it in 1947 and helped design her house’s structure with architect Eleanor Raymond.

J.K. Rowling, author (and female, funnily enough) is the world’s richest author

She has a net worth of over $1 billion, and was the world’s first billionaire female novelist. In 2012 she lost her billionaire status due to giving so much of her money to charity, but has since regained the title.

Licia Ronzulli, Italian MEP and mother, defied ridicule for taking her six-week-old baby to a meeting

She’s continued to take her daughter, Vittoria, to important meetings, votes, and debates with her and has questioned the lives of working mothers and why this was more noteworthy than what she was discussing anyway.

Many notable women have competed in the Olympics pregnant

Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi has the title for the most pregnant. The Malaysian shooter competed when she was eight months along.

Pregnant women have fought in wars, too

Kayla Donnelly was a British soldier who served in Afghanistan for seven months whilst pregnant, although she didn’t know it at the time.

Haneefa Adam created the world’s first hijab wearing Barbie 

A woman – Ruth Handler – also created the original doll 58 years ago, and it has become one of the most popular toys in existence.

Malala Yousafzai was the youngest ever Nobel Prize laureate

At 19, she is also a prominent human rights advocate for women and for education. Most notably, in 2012 she was injured when Taliban gunmen tried to murder her for her advocacy. She has since advocated from the UK, but has raised awareness globally.

Muzoon Almellehan is eighteen and is known as the ‘Malala of Syria’

She campaigns against child marriage and also fights for girls’ education, and in the three years she spent in a refugee camp in Jordan, she went tent to tent convincing families to educate their daughters instead of marrying them off. Both she and Malala addressed world leaders at a UN conference to discuss these issues.

Nicole Aunapu Mann, Christina Hammock Koch, Anne McClain, and Jessica Meir will become the first NASA astronauts to walk on Mars

They are also part of the first ever equal-gender split in NASA history, and will train for at least fifteen years before they head to Mars

Helen Gurley Brown wrote a book in 1962 about women’s ability to be sexually free

It’s called “Sex and the Single Girl,” and she was a outspoken advocate for women’s sexual freedom. She was also editor-in-chief for Cosmopolitan for 32 years.

Margaret Sanger created Planned Parenthood

She also worked to give women control over their own choice for reproductive rights.

Theresa May has held positions in Parliament for twenty years

She also graduated from Oxford Uni and went straight into a job with the Bank of England, and upgraded to a financial consultant and senior adviser in International Affairs all the while dealing with her parents’ tragic deaths.

Nicola Sturgeon joined the SNP when she was just sixteen

When she ran for her first election as an SNP candidate in 1992, she was the youngest, being only 22. She is also the first ever female First Minister for Scotland.

Women are incredible, and these are only ones you see in the media, not the amazing humans that surround us each and every day. We deserve more than for people to look at our legs and decides whose are better.

Unfortunately, if two men sat down to discuss issues within the country, the front page would most likely discuss those issues, rather than the men’s physical appearances.

Shape up, Daily Mail. The women of the world are watching you.