Chinese Whispers: 100 Grand to Get You Into Oxbridge

Can't get into Oxbridge? Here's a way to win your entry. One thing: it costs 100K.

China’s mega-rich are spending up to £100,000 on ‘educational consultants’ to get their sons and daughters into Oxbridge.

For a handsome fee, Chinese ‘princelings’ get intensive tuition, advice and coaching from well-connected advisors who “know the system”, helping them secure places at prestigious public schools, and onwards to Oxford and Cambridge. Students even get lessons on the UK weather and the British sense of humour.

The news has come to light after it emerged that Bo Guagua, whose mother was arrested last month in connection to the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood, had high profile connections who helped him attend Harrow and Oxford.

Bo was mentored by Old Harrovian Heywood himself, as well as by former adviser to Maggie Thatcher and Oxford graduate, Charles Powell on his way to studying at Balliol College.

Bo, who now attends Harvard, was alleged to have lived a lavish playboy lifestyle while at Oxford and reportedly lived in a 5-star hotel during his studies.

Bo Guagua used connections to attend public school and Oxford

Bo was one of the first Chinese students to be coached into Harrow and Oxford, but now it seems that getting wealthy children into Oxbridge is a Bo-oming industry. One consultancy firm, BE Education, charges between £50,000 and £100,000 to set these super-wealthy teenagers on course to Cambridge.

Milly Farid, a Clare mathmo from Beijing, said that “with such huge disparities in wealth emerging in China, it seems inevitable that a culture has come into being where anything – including a semblance of intelligence – can be bought.”

“The country is teeming with services that help wealthy kids get into whatever school they want: for the right price, you can find someone to take your tests, write your applications, coach you and ultimately ‘convince’ a school to take you.”

“The system is definitely unjust, but though it’s new to China, it is clearly not unique to China. Hasn’t the British system been working like this for centuries?” she added.

It is understood that in the hope to secure places, some families have even resorted to offering massive seven-figure donations to colleges before admission, although these are always turned down.

All these rack up an impressive bill. And that’s before you even count regular expenses.

Cambridge Uni estimates that living as an international student can be over £8000 a year, upwards of £4000 for college bills and a whopping £13,000 in tuition fees.

• who cares

same as the state school kids, they still gotta get in

• TPJ

Wow, time to start my educational consultancy…. Although I might have to give U21's a miss (despite the obvious old boys network to get me a job as in investment banker (FO IBD Internship GS – as incentive to train)

• you are

so, so, so boring

• TPJ judge

that's a below-standard TPJ comment

• phuqwhatyouheard

The rich are buying their way into elite institutes what a nonissu- OH GOD NO THEY ARE NOT WHITE OH GOD

• might as well

I TOLD YOU IT WAS THE CHINESE

• Sexism Police

Um, can we not refer to the ex-Prime Minster as 'Maggie Thatcher'? You wouldn't go around today talking about how Davey Cam-Cam has had trouble in the elections, would you?

• Sexist? Naaa

I can think of far worse, and more appropriate names for both of them. Regardless of sex.

• well…

wouldn't put Davey Cam-Cam past The Tab actually. The point is to undermine whilst avoiding approaching witty.

• Davey Cam-Cam

I would.

• IPCC

No, but plenty of people talk about 'Dave Cameron' – calling her Maggie is nothing at all to do with sexism, unless you're a hyper-sensitive feminist looking for an argument, in which case the very existence of men is probably an affront to womenkind.

If the article called her 'Maggie Thatch the Bad Catch' you might have a point. As it is, shut up.

• Umm….

so by your logic, that makes " 'Tony' Blair " a sexist comment too.

Right….

• Suggestion

If "Davey Cam-Cam" caught on I'd definitely use it all the time :).

• Mr. Cultured

Jim Callaghan. Tony Blair. Clem the Gem. Ted Heath.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist, feminists.

• Knob Police

Found another one Sarge.

• http://www.youtube.com/user/supermarkliu supermarkliu

If you are the sexism police, then this comment is equivalent to arresting a suspect because of his skin colour.

• AMES

the head of modern Chinese studies at the university of Cambridge is also called Boping Yuan…

• Meh

He still clearly can't get quality clunge.

• GCSE empathy

Much more common even for the chinese kids whose parents can afford a western education is to be turned away because they don't meet the stereotype of the hypersmart asian: maybe their test results are merely as good as yours and mine, instead of jaw-dropping. Which leaves out the far larger number of clever kids who are fucked because they aren't too rich and their country does not have good universities of its own.

Heard something newsworthy?

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

A donor has been found for Lara, sister of a Cambridge undergraduate

Lara says in the video, “Very excited to tell you some great news.”

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset