Cantab ‘Original Prankster’ Dies, Aged 94

By , News Editor on

Facebook Twitter

Legendary Nightclimber and trickster Craig Nares has died, aged 94.

One of the oldest former members of the infamous Cambridge Night Climbers has died, aged 94.

Nares Craig, who studied at Trinity in the 1930s, was well-known for his activity in the elusive Night Climbers.

This small and select group of daredevils ran, jumped and swang over the rooftops of Cambridge under the cover of darkness, just for kicks.

Next level maneouvre: Nares on top of John’s

Back in the day, Nares made his name by climbing King’s Chapel to hang an effigy of King George VI just before his coronation.

Writing in his memoirs, Nares remembered ‘a rash of bunting and union jacks’ appearing all over Cambridge.

‘It prompted me,’ he said, ‘to think of some appropriate way of mocking the whole pantomime of royalty.’

So with a mate and a model of the future King, he scaled the Chapel but was unfortunately stopped by porters, hearing the squeaking pulleys hoisting the effigy. Nares and his friend were rusticated for the rest of the term.

This original prankster’s legacy lives on today – the Night Climbers made headlines in December 2009 for planting 25 Christmas Hats on Cambridge’s dreaming spires.

Nowadays they’re tough to track down, but many Cantabs have seen them running off into the night.

David Wilson, a second year at Clare remembers how he once saw a climber running over the top of Trinity.

‘I was utterly gobsmacked at seeing someone running along the rooftops,’ says David. ‘It’s sad that such a daring former Night Climber has passed away, but he’s gone down in history as Cambridge legend.’

Facebook Twitter
  • Corpuscle

Wow a genuinely good tab article, they're so rare these days.

• TPJ

I'm too busy with U21s to go night climbing.

• Jamie Crawford

• Matty Mcbroide

Balls on this boy like a bengali tiger.

• Come on mate

Another classic Shukman article interviewing someone he went to school with…

• Arts student

The technical term is "proto-lad."

• Mike de B'astard

It's been a while since I've seen David Wilson, social connoisseur and long man about town lent his wit and wisdom to The Tab.

• Greg Davies

What about me?

• Kieran Brocken

No votes for me? :(

• Steve Bruce

The rugby lads have no banter

Heard something on campus?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Which Renaissance Pope is your college?

You’ve always wanted to know

By on

Ben Collins Week 1: We’re all trying really hard to impress

OUR FRESHER COLUMNIST talks fitting in, boring conversations everyone has in freshers’ week and wavey garms.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Cambridge – already the richest uni in Europe – to fill its coffers with an extra £2 BILLION in endowments

New fundraising campaign will allow Cambridge compete with rich American unis

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first

By , Chief Reporter on

If you’re homesick by now, university just isn’t for you

Going home after three weeks? You won’t last three years

By , Chief Reporter on

I was scammed out my life savings by a fake landlord who targets students

She was forced to pay £2,300 for rent up front

By , Features Editor on

Judge Rinder thinks Law students are really really serious

Skip your lectures, he says you’ll learn just as much from his show

By , Features Editor on

Universities will be ‘fined’ for failing working class students

The ones who score badly won’t be allowed to raise their tuition fees