Cantab ‘Original Prankster’ Dies, Aged 94

, News Editor

Legendary Nightclimber and trickster Craig Nares has died, aged 94.

One of the oldest former members of the infamous Cambridge Night Climbers has died, aged 94.

Nares Craig, who studied at Trinity in the 1930s, was well-known for his activity in the elusive Night Climbers.

This small and select group of daredevils ran, jumped and swang over the rooftops of Cambridge under the cover of darkness, just for kicks.

Next level maneouvre: Nares on top of John’s

Back in the day, Nares made his name by climbing King’s Chapel to hang an effigy of King George VI just before his coronation.

Writing in his memoirs, Nares remembered ‘a rash of bunting and union jacks’ appearing all over Cambridge.

‘It prompted me,’ he said, ‘to think of some appropriate way of mocking the whole pantomime of royalty.’

So with a mate and a model of the future King, he scaled the Chapel but was unfortunately stopped by porters, hearing the squeaking pulleys hoisting the effigy. Nares and his friend were rusticated for the rest of the term.

This original prankster’s legacy lives on today – the Night Climbers made headlines in December 2009 for planting 25 Christmas Hats¬†on Cambridge’s dreaming spires.

Nowadays they’re tough to track down, but many Cantabs have seen them running off into the night.

David Wilson, a second year at Clare remembers how he once saw a climber running over the top of Trinity.

‘I was utterly gobsmacked at seeing someone running along the rooftops,’ says David. ‘It’s sad that such a daring former Night Climber has passed away, but he’s gone down in history as Cambridge legend.’

@hshukman
  • Corpuscle

Wow a genuinely good tab article, they're so rare these days.

• TPJ

I'm too busy with U21s to go night climbing.

• Jamie Crawford

5/10

• Matty Mcbroide

Balls on this boy like a bengali tiger.

• Come on mate

Another classic Shukman article interviewing someone he went to school with…

• Arts student

The technical term is "proto-lad."

• Mike de B'astard

It's been a while since I've seen David Wilson, social connoisseur and long man about town lent his wit and wisdom to The Tab.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Editor, The Tab Cambridge

Dear Cambridge: Don’t leave the NUS, it’s a magnificent institution

Remember everything it’s achieved

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support