BREAKING: Sainsbury Scores Top Post

In an unsurprising result, Lord Sainsbury has won the race to be the next chancellor of the uni. Are you happy with the result?

Lord (David) Sainsbury will be the next chancellor of the university after dominating the election.

Sainsbury topped the polls comfortably with 2893 first preference votes, 52% of the total.

5,558 valid votes were ultimately cast, lower than uni projections which estimated 8,000 voters over the two days.

Actor Brian Blessed came in at 2nd place, with 1389 votes (25%), less than half Sainsbury’s scoop.

Radical QC Michael Mansfield swung 964 first-choices votes, just over 17%, and local shopkeeper Abdul Arain managed 312 votes, only 5.6% of the turnout.

The news comes as little surprise to anyone who has been following the events of the last few days. Many predicted that Sainsbury would win easily, and a Telegraph exit poll reported this morning showed a runaway victory for the supermarket mogul.

The next chancellor

The news will please many in the university, with the lord having been initially nominated from within Senate House to take the title. It was not initially expected that his appointment would be opposed.

However, despite the best efforts of some, Sainsbury secured enough votes through the election to become the next chancellor, and follows a long list of distinguished men to preside over the role.

More details and reactions to follow.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Oxford votes YES to a disaffiliation referendum

OUSU decides to put NUS disaffiliation to a vote while the CUSU referendum decision will be made next week.

Which Pokémon is your college?

Find out if your college is the very best, like no one ever was…

“Friends with benefits” means nothing

The ‘friends’ part is unnecessary. The ‘benefits’ part is disappointing.

, Bristol Editor of The Tab

Capitalism is dying – and we’re all becoming socialists

51 per cent of millennials ‘do not support’ it

QUIZ: How vain are you?

Bet you think this quiz is about you

, Editor of The Tab London

Staggering results show three-quarters of students want to leave the NUS

According to a Tab poll of 6,500 people

, National Editor

There’s going to be an investigation into sexist advertising

Reaction to the Protein World ads highlighted a need for change

,        

We’ve found the best alternatives to Naked palettes

Who wants to pay £38.50 for eyeshadow?

and

What trainers should you be wearing?

Take our quiz to find out