Winter Beauty: Make A Statement!

By on

In our first shoot of term, TOM RASMUSSEN, JOY STARKEY and THURSTAN REDDING show you how to perfect your make up to brighten up your winter wardrobe.

With the cold Cambridge wind creeping in, the time to wear summer dresses and sky-scraper day heels is fading as fast as the sun. It is officially time to let practicality play a part in your wardrobe.

But don’t let this get you down – paying attention to your make-up will take the attention off your tattered winter warmers. And lucky for you, we will show you how it’s done:

Day Glow

Fresh faced and ready for lectures

Simply prime your face normally and add highlighter above the cheekbones and below the brows. Finish off with tousled hair and neutral lips.

A smokey eye with a defined brow is great for formal

Gradually build deeper colours on a grey or silver base which climbs all the way to the brow. Don’t forget to add highlighter in the corners of each eye to give yourself a sparkle. Red lipstick mixed with Vaseline on the back of your hand can be daubed on to give a stained-sheen.

Statement Eyes

Make your eyes POP!

Choose an eye shadow that complements your skin tone, but don’t let your lids steal the show – wack on those lashes! Here, we teamed electric blue eyes with black lip gloss to add an edgy feel.

40s Pin-Up Chic

Red lipped beauty

Apply lipstick to the cheeks and massage in to give a porcelain doll feel. Hold off on the eyeliner, define the brows and gently curl the hair. If you’re feeling saucy you could add a timeless beauty spot. And don’t forget those pillar-box red lips!

Boho Beauty

High style, yet easy to achieve

This look is stolen from Twiggy. Brush out your curls to achieve a relaxed wave. Add a thin line of eyeliner over the socket-bone to get one of this season’s biggest make-up looks. Keep the lips nude, the skin fresh and square off your brows.

Androgynous Eyebrows

Show stealing brows!

Tie your hair up and sculpt your eyebrows with soft Kohl pencil in a matching shade to your brows. Be bold – this look takes a lot of confidence. Even it out with beautiful berry lips and you’re sure to feel fab.

Hair and Make up: Joy Starkey and Tom Rasmussen

Models: Lolia Etomi and Bronwyn Jones

Photographer: Thurstan Redding

• IrresistablyMe

AWESOME! I love this. so chic *mwah*

• Nefertiti

Very impressed with the make up. Definitely going to use these tips this year :)
    You go girls!

• bhavini

first picture:

i would.

• Birke

i love wearing make-up, it makes me feel so sexy

• Dame Elizabeth

This piece is let down by the last four images, sadly.
    The eyeshadow on the lid of the third image is poorly blended and is powdered onto the model's lashes.
    Rather than noticing the red lips, I noticed the shortbread the model is attempting to bite in the fourth image; play up the make-up, not the model or props.
    The lines drawn on the next image just beneath the brow bone are patchy and end at an unflattering point on the eyes. A more effective shot would have been to capture the eyes not the nostrils, too.
    The final image is okay, but again the execution is not quite there; the join between the hair and the drawn-on brow is visible at the thickest points, which makes it look unfinished. Furthermore, the proportions of eyebrows to lips is badly displayed owing to the model's pose.
    The first and second images are excellent, however.
    I am not attacking this, I'm just judging it with, I hope, helpful observations and improvements.

• Crikey…

If someone made me look like any of these pictures, I'd sue.

• injurylawyers4u

the first one looks nice?

• dibbidy

• Felix

Even Felix would not get with double-eye-lash-girl.

• curious

is this you nugee

• Kit

Pretty girls, not so good make up.

• Ms Bridget

Are these pictures a joke? (except for the first)

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

EXLCUSIVE PICS: James Bond Director Sam Mendes in town for Peterhouse Freshers’ Play

He returned to his old stomping ground of Peterhouse and helped out with the Freshers’ Play

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness