The Birthday Party

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

JEFF CARPENTER [pause] enjoyed [pause] this [pause] play.

Corpus Playroom, 2-6th November, 7.30pm. £6/£5.

Directed by Phil Howe

The Birthday Party had its world premiere at the Arts Theatre in 1958, so it is fitting that Phil Howe chose to begin his Cambridge directing career with it next door, half a century later. For a directorial debut this was an outstanding production, featuring some outstanding freshers.

Corpus Playroom is a difficult venue to get right and the abrasive, nauseous style of Pinter could easily have resulted in a long, bad joke.  Instead, it brought the inherent voyeurism right into the fold and played the tragicomedy perfectly.  The eruption of applause at the end of the ninety minutes from the packed house said it all.

The first scene was absolutely to-the-nose perfectly styled and my favourite part of the play.  The absurdity of the mindless Meg and bizarrely calm Petey was carried off with carefully poised humour and contrast of character. Nervous, sporadic laughter from the audience became stronger as the stupid conversation about cornflakes built up.  Charlotte Hamblin’s Cambridge debut as Meg was both funny and intelligent, her ditziness never representational but clearly woven into a sincere character, with still a hint of the bizarre that the script requires; a remarkable feat.

Stanley was played by Ellie Nunn (another fresher), and thanks to clever direction and keen attention to the script Phil Howe achieved the rare feat of bettering a play through cross-casting. Nunn brought a good level of inner turmoil and anger to her lines, but it was when she stopped speaking that we saw the true depth of her talent. During the interrogation she was the most gripping thing in the scene, and her silent acting through the ‘party’ was both disturbing and heart-rending.

All the actors were of a high standard and, it seems, expertly cast.  Howe had clearly worked hard at making the play visually interesting and expressive, which the script does not make it easy to do.

I would, however, critique the odd opening; a red square of light filled the whole window frame in a blackout, a powerful device but one which was entirely abandoned after ten seconds, never to be seen again.  There were also a few times when I felt the scene reached an emotional plateau and was in danger of stagnation. They soon moved on, though, and in fairness Pinter is not the snappiest of Nobel Laureates.

I was in agreement with an audience who clearly loved the voyeurism and sheer intensity of this production, employing brilliant use of space and hitting Pinter’s style violently on the head.

Facebook Twitter
  • Sceptical

Isn't this just a rehash of the Varsity article?

• Ironic

Were we watching the same show?

• Gerard Butler

Actually I was in a video back in 1993 for Glasgow University.

• Lord Kelvin

I don’t do lunch.

Heard something on campus?

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return