Sing When You’re Not Winning

By on

Facebook Twitter

Andrew Sheridan is a singer songwriter. So is The Rock. Hard men with soft sides. Tab sports searches out other sportsmen who have made the cultural crossover.

It has emerged that giant rugby player Andrew Sheridan is more than just a beefcake with the recent revelation that he has spent the past twelve months not just recovering from a shoulder injury, but also recording a 16 track long album bearing the catchy title “Where we go from here.”

Sheridan recorded the album at a recording studio in Manchester and only put it up for general release on Itunes after several friends commented on the quality of his tunes and urged him to upload them.

While this soft side to Sheridan is likely to shock the props he has bulldozed on the international stage, Tab sports can reveal that Sheridan is simply one in a long line of multi-talented sportsmen.

The Rock

The daddy of the crossover “the Rock”, born Dwayne Johnson, was a talented college football player who was part of the University of Miami’s championship winning side. After injury hampered his football career Johnson realized his true calling; sporting black budgie smugglers and high-octane man-on-man action.

Having been trained by his father in the arts of man-bashing, Johnson became part of the WWF and, after a series of “people’s elbows” and “rock bottoms”, won the WWF championship seven times and attained hero status.

Johnson still had more fields to delve into and in 2000 made his literary debut with his autobiography, The Rock Says, which achieved number one on the The New York Times best-seller list. Johnson had still not satisfied his thirst for culture and moved in on Hollywood, landing his first leading role in The Scorpion King in 2002. Since then he has starred in, amongst many illustrious others, Gridiron Gang, The Game Plan and The Other Guys.

Vinnie Jones

One of football’s hardest ever men. Jones was sent off 12 times in his career, holds the record for the quickest ever booking – coming after just 3 seconds of play in a match between Chelsea and Sheffield United – and got up close and personal with Gazza.

Jones has capitalized on his tough guy image in his pursuit of a film career. Guy Ritchie snapped him up most notably for Lock stock and two smoking barrels in which he played a street-wise brawler and Jones played the bullish Juggernaut in X-Men: The last stand.

Jones has also branched out into music. He has featured on a Joss Stone album and in November 2002, under the tutelage of Phil Collins, he released an album on Telstar called Respect .

Shaquille O’Neal

Most famously known for his skills on the basketball court “Shaq” has also tried his freakishly large hand at rapping. He has released 6 albums during his 17 years in the rap game and acquired ridiculous monikers such as “Shaq Fu” and “Diesel”. Nevertheless, he is the only NBA player to have a platinum album (his debut, Shaq diesel, in 1993) but given the quality of his lyrics this is somewhat surprising. The following is a sample of one of his Killa’ lines from The Bomb Baby;

Camillion get the party started
Make ya tear the club up
Back in retarded because I’m cold hearted
Step through the door gambino hard core mosquito
Keep on soaking you up like El Nino

Honourable mention

Terry Tait – Real name Lester Speight

Similarly to The Rock, Speight began as a college football player before hard times forced him into wrestling. His big break in acting came with the Terry Tait “office linebacker” commercials for Reebok. First aired during Super Bowl 38 the ads have become an internet viral and inspired numerous spoofs.

Facebook Twitter
  • Pez

Is it ok that I used this page to masturbate?

I'm all sticky now.

• Luke

THAT'S the video you use for The Rock? THAT?

Single greatest moment in wrestling hist-no, in fact, in all human history.

• D.A.T

Suspicious. They are all friends and they aren’t amongst the best. I throw down the guantlet. You have actually missed all Kingstons top Djs. I vote Rascal.

Heard something on campus?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Let’s face it, Freshers’ week is overrated.

In all honesty, most of us finish the week with the flu rather than with friends.

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’