Brighton’s weekly coronavirus rate drops among young people

Brighton’s director of public health thanks young people and students for sacrificing their freedom at this time

There has been a 37 per cent drop in positive tests among young people, meaning Brighton and Hove’s weekly rate has decreased. This comes after England went into its second national lockdown on 5th November.

In the week leading up to 30th October, Brighton and Hove had 403 confirmed cases. In the week leading up to lockdown, this figure fell to 364.

The city’s director of public health, Alistair Hill, states: “We want to thank young people and students in the city for helping to slow the spread of infection, often at great sacrifice of the freedom they would normally expect to enjoy at this stage in their lives.”

However, he also says it is too early to predict a sustained drop from these figures. He warns: “The level of infection in working-age people remains a concern. Therefore, I am asking everyone to follow the national lockdown directive to work from home if possible.”

Although he recognises that those who cannot work from home can continue to travel to work, he encourages workers, especially those who move between people’s homes (like tradespeople) to follow coronavirus safety measures. This includes washing hands, social distancing and wearing a face covering.

Hill also highlights that there is currently plenty of testing capacity in Brighton and Hove. He continued: “At the first sign of any of the coronavirus symptoms – even if very mild – people self-isolate right away along with your household members and apply for a test.”

Anyone waiting for a test must self-isolate and respond to NHS Test and Trace if contacted by them.