Image may contain: Jeans, Denim, Ice Skating, People, Face, Skating, Sports, Sport, Pants, Shoe, Footwear, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person

BREAKING: University of Sussex calls all Hong Kong exchange students back home

The University is concerned for the safety of its students

The University of Sussex has called home all exchange students in Hong Kong as a result of the confrontations between protestors and police.

A spokesperson for the University of Sussex said as a result of the protests making their way to some of the universities partnering campuses "the University has made the decision to request all Sussex students currently in Hong Kong return home."

"We have also let them know that a senior member of University staff is in Hong Kong and on-hand to help and talk through any questions."

They went on to state that "the safety and wellbeing of our students is of upmost importance and we will continue to provide advice and whatever help is needed."

The University are in touch with the British Consulate and British council who are providing advice on what to do in this situation.

Hong Kong state media said "The threat of violence hung over Hong Kong Thursday evening as thousands of student protesters prepared to face off with riot police, amid a continued occupation of several of the city's most prestigious universities."