Image may contain: Police Car, Van, Vehicle, Transportation, Car, Automobile

Uber has had its license revoked in Brighton

They are not ‘fit and proper’ to hold a license

Uber has had its license to operate in Brighton and Hove revoked after a unanimous decision by the Brighton and Hove City Council.

A statement has been released by the council which gives a reason for the decision: "The unanimous decision was taken as the members of the panel were not satisfied that Uber Brittania Limited are a ‘fit and proper person’ to hold an operator’s licence under the terms of Local Government"

In 2016, American hackers caused a data breach which was one of the main reasons behind the decision. The council stated: "the panel did have significant concerns about the company’s data breach and UBL’s lack of commitment to use only Brighton & Hove licensed drivers in the city."

Uber will appeal the decision to revoke the license and drivers licensed elsewhere will still be free to work within the city. A spokesperson for for the company said: "This is a disappointing decision for the thousands of passengers and drivers who rely on our app in Brighton and Hove. We intend to appeal so we can continue serving the city.”

Uber has been operating in the city for little over a year.