Breaking: Sussex Police make two arrests in connection with racist attack

A 16 and 17 year old boy have been arrested on suspicion of committing grievous bodily harm with intent

Yesterday the Tab reported that a 20-year-old South Korean student was attacked with a champagne bottle as he walked to his home on Ship Street.

Yehsung Kim, who is an exchange student at Sussex, suffered severe dental trauma following the attack.

This morning, Sussex Police announced that two teenage boys arrested on the suspicion of committing grievous bodily harm with intent are currently in police custody and will be interviewed in due course.

Chief Inspector Chris Veale said: "We are treating this as a hate crime as we believe the victim was targeted due to his ethnicity. Brighton is a welcoming diverse city and we are appalled at this attack on this young man.

"Such incidents can cause significant distress to victims and local communities and I would like to reassure those affected that we take this type of crime extremely seriously and are doing all we can to identify and arrest the suspect.”

Sussex Police have said that the arrests were made through extensive enquiries and media coverage.

The first suspect who was armed with the bottle is a white teenage boy, of slim build with brown hair with a side parting and was wearing blue top, dark coat, grey trousers and dark shoes.

The second suspect was a white teenage boy, of slim build, with dark cropped hair and was wearing a grey short sleeved top with collar and buttons (possibly a polo shirt), dark trousers and dark shoes.

The third suspect is a white teenage girl, of slim build with long dark hair and was wearing a dark jacket and trousers and light coloured shoes.

Detective Inspector Simon Morgan said: "We want to hear from anyone who saw the assault, which happened in busy North Street and also anyone who saw a group of youths acting aggressively at this location or in Churchill Square on Sunday night.

"We are aware there is a video of the incident which has been posted on Facebook and if anyone who has seen it has any information, please contact us."

Police are still urging anyone with information to report it online at https://sussex.police.uk/appealresponse or call 101 quoting serial 1481 of 15/10.

Alternatively, you can visit the Crimestoppers (www.crimestoppers-uk.org) website or contact the independent charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A crowdfunding page has been set up to help cover the cost of Yehsung Kim's dental surgery.