Groovy, The Funk and Soul Weekender comes to Sussex

The Sugar Hill Gang, Soul II Soul, and Gilles Peterson will be attending.

The Funk and Soul Weekender returns to Sussex for a chance to get your funk on and groove to the music over the course of 3 days. The festival aims to share a ‘feel good’ vibe with plenty of dance parties, yoga, tropical pool parties, and many more.

Held between the 12th-15th May in Camber Sands, the festival has huge names attending such as ‘Rapper’s Delight’ The Sugar Hill Gang, Soul II Soul, and ‘We Got The Funk’ legend George Clinton all making the line up (full line up can be found at the bottom of the page)

George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic star as one of the headliners for the festival. Described as one of the inventors of funk music, George Clinton is one of the last of the A-list in a category of greats that includes James Brown, Bob Marley, Prince, and Otis Reading. George Clinton will be playing with the 16 piece Parliament Funkadelic.

DJ, Broadcaster, producer, and owner of Brownswood Recordings, Gilles Peterson, will also be attending the Weekender. Gilles Peterson hosts a weekly Saturday afternoon radio show bringing in two million global listeners will be teaming up with DJ Greg Wilson.

After their sell-out first year, they return to Sussex with more in store.

Speaking exclusively to The Tab Sussex, The Funk and Soul Weekender changes the usual camping festival status quo with chalets coming as standard for all of those with weekend tickets. The festival will be taking over famous British holiday camp ‘Pontins’ so there will be plenty of restaurants, bars, utilities, shops, and more importantly less mud to get over your funky clothes.

Since the event will be held on the south coast and during May, there are plenty of opportunities to hit the beach and relax during the day for a ultimate boogie sesh at night.

Soul II Soul, who sung ‘back to life’ will be a headliner

Disco buses will be available for those needing transport just so you can get into the swing of things. Tickets are also available for the secret hideaway party.

Tickets start from £119 for a weekend pass with chalet, you can find more on their website here.

Full Lineup

Just announced

Soul II Soul LIVE / Gilles Peterson / Submotion Orchestra

Greg Wilson / The Mouse Outfit / Mr Thing / XOA / Werkha

George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic
The Sugarhill Gang / Hot 8 Brass Band / Mr Scruff
Norman Jay / Omar / Jordan Rakei / Crazy P Soundsystem / Flamingods Retrospective for Love / Resonators / Nubiyan Twist / Harleighblu / United Vibrations / Lakuta / Cheeba / J-Felix / Tenderlonious / Dom Servini
Peter Adarkwah / Scrimshire / Jeen Bassa / Dennis Ayler / Boba Fatt
Tom Central / Russ Ryan / Dat Brass / Big Martyn / Manu & Ando
DJ Tappa / Some Juan