All the places you can go to for help if you’re a student experiencing sexual or domestic violence

A list of on-campus and off-campus services

In light of the domestic violence case involving former University of Sussex senior lecturer Lee Salter, and former student Allison Smith, it is evident that help, advice and support to those who have experienced domestic or sexual abuse is vital.

Here is a list of places on campus and in Brighton you can contact for support if you have experienced domestic or sexual violence.

Emergency services

If you feel at risk, have recently been assaulted, need urgent medical attention or want to report an incident on campus you can call security on 3333 or 01273 873333 or go to the 24 hr Security service at York House. For off-campus help immediately call for an ambulance or police on 999. You can also report an incident on 101.

Student Life Centre

Located on the Ground floor of Bramber House, the University of Sussex’s Student Life Centre offers help for a wide range of student problems, including personal issues. Students can attend short welfare drop-in sessions as well as make online bookings to speak to an advisor. Advisors may refer you to the university’s counselling services and can suggest other networks that can better support and meet your needs.

University Counselling Services

Separate from the Student Life Centre, on-campus counselling provides many forms of therapy and workshops. To be offered counselling sessions you will be required to register with the service and attend an initial interview. You can attend an interview even if you are unsure if you want to start formal counselling but would like to speak to someone. Initial interviews can be booked online after signing up and appointments are released 24 hours in advance at midnight and at noon and can be accessed through Sussex Direct/Counselling.

Report an incident to the Students’ Union

Sussex Students’ Union has a zero tolerance policy that supports anyone who has experienced or witnessed sexual harassment, discrimination or violence. All Union staff, officers, volunteers, members and visitors attending Union events, activities and affairs or on the university premises must follow the policy. Reports are protected and can be made via the reporting tool. A report can be made anonymously but this will mean that the Students’ Union will not be able to pursue formal complaints or disciplinary proceedings at this stage.

R.I.S.E (Refuge, Information, Support and Education)

This charity provides help and sanctuary for those who have experienced domestic abuse in Sussex and are available at 0300 323 9985

National Stalking helpline

The National Stalking helpline is available at 0300 636 0300.

The Saturn Centre- SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre)

The centre offers free and confidential support and practical help to anyone in Sussex who has experienced recent sexual abuse. The service is available 24/7 on 0800 033 7797. You can self-refer during weekday office hours for specialist medical and emotional help, forensics and referral to counselling. At night and during the weekends you can access the services of the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) through referral of the Police.

The Solar Clinic at SHAC

Working alongside SARC, The Solar Clinic offer booked appointments providing support, advice, STI testing and medical treatment to those who have experienced sexual abuse. Call The Health Advisers on 01273 523388 (opt 2) from Monday to Friday 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 4:30pm to book an appointment or for more information.

National Domestic Abuse helpline

In partnership with Women’s Aid and Refuge, the confidential 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline assists women experiencing domestic violence, and their family, friends, and people who call on their behalf on 0808 2000 247 The service is suitable for non-English speakers with a translation service and also for deaf users.

Survivors’ Network

The Survivors Network charity provide many forms of services for self-identifying women who have experienced sexual assault. The network has a helpline available from 7pm-9pmWeds on 01273 720110 and text service on 07717 999989, as well as drop-ins, independent sexual violence advisors and counselling services.

Men’s Advice Line

Available at 0808 801 0327, the helpline provides support and advice to men who have experienced domestic violence and abuse.


Based in Hove, Mankind provides support to self-identifying male survivors of sexual abuse and their partners, families and friends, offering 1:1, couple and group counselling. You can contact them at 01273 911680.


Respect runs support programmes and other services to for male victims of domestic violence and to people who inflict violence in relationships. Call them via 0808 802 4040.

LGBT Switchboard

The Survivors Network also run the first UK helpline for trans and non-binary survivors of sexual violence and abuse as well as family, friends and supporters of LGBT people. The helpline can be found on 01273 204050 and is staffed by trans volunteers.

National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline 

The National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline is available at 0800 999 5428 and gives emotional and practical support for LGBT people experiencing domestic abuse.