How you can help Brighton’s homeless with care packages this Christmas

Help Brighton Philanthropy give a care package to someone in need

With a 90 per cent increase in the county’s rough sleeping rate between 2014 to 2015, homelessness is a growing concern in Brighton and Hove. Guys Pinky, Andy, and Michelangelo, known as Brighton Philanthropy, have begun a shoebox project to help the homeless in Brighton and Hove this Christmas.  We spoke to the organisers about their appeal.

What led you to start this project?

Pinky: I became homeless in Brighton after a very toxic relationship and had nowhere to go. It was a really difficult time, and others looked after me. After I got back on my feet I wanted to give back to the homeless people of Brighton. On my birthday last year I had a celebration in the city streets, and in complete drag, handed out care packages from myself and other kind donators, and gave out over 150 packages to rough sleepers and others in need such as low income families. We wanted to do something again this year; people love to give at Christmas and there’s no better cause, so we thought we’d start a holiday project.

Pinky, middle, handed out 150 packages last year

How many people are you aiming to reach through this project?

We would like to hand out over 200 care packages this December, but would like to make as many as we can. Our main aim is to give love and support to those in need. Hopefully our project will highlight the issues and stigmas surrounding homelessness and falling upon hard times.

Andy and Pinky hope to hand out 200+ care packages

How can people help?

Anyone can donate a package! They don’t cost too much so can fit into a student budget and you can decorate the box or bag. The open packages should contain a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, socks, water, snacks and non-perishable foods, first aid items, and you could also add feminine hygiene products and dog food. You could go even further and donate sleeping bags and rucksacks. What we’d love is a hand-written Christmas card.

Businesses have also helped us out, with Higgidy donating 200 pies, Bone Idol giving god-grooming vouchers and shoeboxes from Brantano.

We will also be having a packing event to wrap up various donations on December 11th for those who want to donate their time too.

A box could cost as little as £10 to make

Where can people drop off their packages?

Donations can be dropped off at Dottie’s cafe in East Brighton Park, The Hole In The Wall sandwich shop in Kemp Town, and can also be collected or dropped off elsewhere, just get in contact.

Visit Brighton Philanthropy’s Facebook page here.