Five new Students’ Union referendums have been revealed

We are voting on changing the SU President’s title, again

The Sussex Students’ Union have revealed five referendums that will be open for Sussex students to vote upon.

Referendums are presented both by students and the Union council.

To hold a referendum, students must first submit a petition. Only once it has received more the 150 signatures will the SU consider it.

The following referendums have been submitted to public debate:

Should the Students’ Union continue to boycott Nestle products?

Should the Students’ Union continue to boycott Coca-Cola products?

Should the role of President be re-named ‘Union Affairs Officer’?

Should the Students’ Union campaign for students to boycott the National Student Survey in 2017?

Should NUS conduct and publish a risk assessment and equality impact assessment before finalising the NSS boycott / sabotage action?

In 2005, Sussex University voted to boycott Coke products due to their ‘unethical practices’.

Nestle has been boycotted since 1992, however the boycott was continued after a referendum result in 2013 voted 69 per cent and 62 per cent in favour for the boycott of Nestle and Coke respectively.

The boycott currently is in place in East Slope Bar, Falmer Bar, and the Union shop.

President Annie Pickering has stated in her manifesto that she will support this boycott and attempt to spread it to Sussex Food outlets.

In December 2014, the question ‘Should the Students’ Union replace the role of President with another role with a different title, e.g. Union Affairs or Union Chair?’ was raised.

In 2015, the question ‘Should the role of Students’ Union President be replaced with a full-time Equality and Diversity Officer?’ was also raised.

For the third year in a row, a referendum has been put forward to either change the role or title of the president and each previous time it has lost. Many have taken to social media to display their frustration.

In April 2016, the NUS conference decided to boycott the National Student Survey in response to governmental plans to raise tuition fees. This survey aids the government with making decisions in the education sector.