Sussex has announced our new Vice Chancellor

Adam Tickell will take over from Michael Farthing this September

Adam Tickell has been confirmed as the successor to controversial Vice Chancellor Michael Farthing.

Professor Tickell will take up the post in September this year. The choice comes after students were asked how they would envision their ideal VC three months ago, with popular characteristics including consideration for social justice and equality, as well as ambition, intelligence, responsibility and helpfulness.

Chosen by a recruitment process governed by by executive search firm Perrett Laver, Tickell is currently Provost and Vice-Principal at the University of Birmingham. He has also worked as Vice Principal at Royal Holloway, and, before that, as their Dean of the Faculty of History & Social Sciences.

He has also worked at the University of Bristol, and has published and edited research in the fields of political economic geography, finance, and English local governance.

Professor Tickell will start in his new job in September

Speaking to the University,  Professor Tickell said: “I’ve long been aware that the University of Sussex is home to many thought-leaders and researchers who are driving positive change throughout the world, and having real influence in their fields of endeavour.

“Since it was founded, the university has had a distinctive ethos based upon a commitment to interdisciplinary learning, research and scholarship and a global outlook. Sussex’s high-quality teaching has earned it a well-deserved global reputation in the sector and I’m looking forward to working with staff to see how the university can enhance the great student experience even further.

“Given the many global challenges that we face, universities have a vital role in contributing economically and socially to society.  I am both delighted and honoured to be joining the University of Sussex at a time when it is looking to build substantially on its achievements.”

Speaking to the university about the election of Tickell, Christian Brodie, Chair of the University of Sussex’s Council, said: “Adam has a proven track record of strong leadership, extensive operational experience and a commitment to enhancing the student experience. His collaborative engagement with national and international networks across industry, politics and academia, will be of significant benefit to the University.

“He is a distinguished academic leader, both as a scholar and within a university context, and is exactly the right person to take Sussex forward as the University builds on its outstanding international teaching and research reputation.

“Adam’s personal and professional credentials reflect the attributes which made Sussex so special when it was established in the 1960s and what makes it an exceptional institution now in the twenty first century.”