Sussex Five bag £2k in compensation and an apology from Sussex

Well… there’s 4 of them

noad

The student protesters dubbed “the Sussex Five” are each set to receive between £2,000 and £2,500 compensation from the university…along with a grovelling written apology.

The Five rose to notoriety in 2013 with their protests against the privatisation of university services and received support from political icons such as Cara Delevingne.

Following the protest, the students were suspended by the university. Both the public and students alike were angry about the suspension, claiming that it affected the rights of students to protest in the first place.

A Freedom of Information request then revealed £55,000 in total were spent on legal fees relating to the hearing.

The students’ solicitor claimed the situation should be seen as vindication of his clients, and an impeachment of the way they were treated.

A spokesman for the University of Sussex said: “We note the OIA’s findings that there needs to be greater clarity and transparency of information in regards to the process for student disciplinary matters.

“We have established an independent working group to review and make recommendations on this matter. We anticipate putting these into effect through revised university regulations and will inform all relevant parties. Alongside this, the OIA’s case recommendations will be implemented.”

Michael Segalov, one of the five, told The Guardian: “After months of fighting and distress, I’m relieved and elated the OIA has recognised that we were treated unfairly.”