How to be a lad, by Sussex’s Dr Lad Points

Does anyone fancy a pint?

Sussex University is home to our very own lecturerLAD.

Psychologist Dr Richard de Visser has been christened “Dr Lad Points” after speaking on a BBC Radio 1 documentary about, you’ve guessed it…lad points.

Dr VisserLAD

Unsurprisingly, it was found that typical masculine behavior gains the biggest point rewards.

So if you’re gunning to be the ultimate lad, drinking beer from your mate’s arse crack, playing rugby, or breaking a rib without breaking a sweat is the way to go.

If you think you’re getting too old for any of that, you’re in luck! – There are no age restrictions on being a lad!

According to Visser, the terms and conditions of the distribution of lad points change, for example, having the nicest wine rack becomes a lad point-worthy addition to your home.

Visser told Radio 1: “It depends on age as well, so if you’re younger, socialising, and what you do with your body, they’re the kind of main things.

“If you’re slightly older it’ll be different things, it might be the quality of your wine rack or the car that you drive; but I don’t know if 60 year olds have lad points.”

A lad in a box

“Wars for example, there are some man points which once you’ve got them in the bank, they’re locked away forever.

“There are other things which are a bit more vague or fleeting and you have to do them again and again and again.”

Visser feels this is an important area of study due to the potential health risks that come with being a “lad”.

“We are looking at it because there are potential physical risks involved, whether that’s not going to the doctor because you think that’s a ‘particularly girlie’ thing to do, or to drink heavily because that’s how you think you’ll impress your mates and gain some lad points.”

A wild LAD

When asked, who makes the rules, Doc said: “Well I guess there’s a history to it in terms of those things, that which were traditionally seen as masculine characteristics, of physical strength.

“But the specific examples depend on things that are happening right now, so in the UK playing football will be one, and so what you might have in the UK is a heavy drinking culture. ”

Although Sussex isn’t exactly famed for its lad culture, if we assume attending a protest lands you some solid points in the lad bank, we’ve got some big lads on campus.

Bonuses are of course given for smashing up University property.

For more from The Tab, like our Facebook or follow our Twitter.