Brighton’s best bargains!

An insight into Brighton’s world of cheap and cheerful clothing

| UPDATED brighton British Red Cross charity shop dirty harry fashion Flea market North laines PDSA rob the dog sussex vintage

Let’s face it, Brighton isn’t short of shops which at first seem like a poor student’s paradise, but big name vintage shops aren’t always where the best bargains are to be found. So step aside Beyond Retro, the Tab is here to show you where to scour the second-hand rails like a pro.

ROB THE DOG – Sydney Street, The Laines

It looks a bit grotty, but if you can find it within yourself to search through the rails upon rails of clothes in there it’s worth it. Although perhaps more suited to those of us with stronger arm muscles, Rob the Dog is a contender for the best value vintage shop in Brighton. Expect leather jackets and glitter galore, as well as tons of faux and real fur in the newly opened downstairs area.

PDSA – London Road

One of B-town’s bigger charity shops, it’s hard to walk away empty handed, especially as they’ve done the hard work for us by putting all the vintagey goodness in one corner of the shop. And if you say no to charity, you’re a bad person.

NORTH LAINE ANTIQUES AND FLEA MARKET – Upper Gardner Street, The Laines

This is every jewellery lover’s dream. I felt like I’d won the lottery (maybe more like £10 on a scratchcard) when I discovered this hidden treasure trove – either way, it’s fab. Piles upon piles of solid silver rings and pendants line the cabinet shelves, with the majority priced at around £4. Christmas and birthday presents for your mum, grandma, sister, aunt and girlfriends are now pretty much sorted for life. You’re welcome.

BRITISH RED CROSS – London Road

Everything in this shop is, amazingly, just £1.99. At times it can be a bit hit and miss, but it’s been known to stock the likes of Dr Martens boots and Ralph Lauren polos. Definitely worth popping in every now and then to see what they’ve got to offer.

DIRTY HARRY – Sydney Street, The Laines

An obvious choice, and a slightly pricey one at that, but the list wouldn’t be complete without it – good old Dirty Haz never lets us down. Here you can treat yourself to a new look that just screams Sussex student. Carhartt jacket anyone? Maybe a pair of vintage Levi’s, or perhaps a battered pair of DMs? You know you want to…