Best places to cry on campus

Let it out babe

Exam time is stressful for everyone, and although some people tend to remain calm and collective among the panic and fear, it’s okay to have a good old cry. Even the brave have their moments.

Whether you’re looking for a quiet spot hidden away from the crowd to really roar over the amount of weeks ago you should have started revising, or the coursework you didn’t do well in, or if you just really don’t have a clue what you’re going to do with yourself when you fail your exams and are looking for a bit of sympathy from passers-by, there’s ideal places for both on our campus.

For the quiet ballers out there, any random toilet in one of the university buildings is generally a safe bet. Pick one high up, and have a quick scan of the floor to see if many classes or lectures seem to be being held. If not, you’re safe to lock yourself in there and cry until you feel good again. Another positive about crying in the toilet is that of 90% of the toilets on campus are unpleasant to be around and the décor is dated, which will hopefully make you more upset and really get you going. It might not make you pass your exams, but at least you’ll feel a little better for a short period of time.

Another prime spot for cry babies who want kept away from the public eye is the ground floor of the library. Find yourself a booth, put your head on the table and let it all out. And even if you can’t find a booth, any table on the group area floor is almost guaranteed to be safe, as it will be surrounded by people who are talking, stressing, organising, maybe crying too, but needless to say, nobody down there is really going to give a shit about why you are crying.

For the more…confident… criers out there, head to the fourth or fifth floor of the library. Those are the silent areas, which means your crying will most definitely bother someone who will have to talk to you, whether that is to ask what’s wrong or to tell you to shut up. Either way, you have got a reaction from someone. Well done.

Pick a lift, any lift. If you’re really after some sympathy, a busy building such as Royal College or John Anderson, or even the library, is your best bet. Just get on and go up and down until you have cried yourself dry. People are guaranteed to get on and off, and in such a small, contained space, it would just be too awkward for them to ignore you. And remember, they’re asking what the matter is because they care, not because they have to…

Dry your eyes mate

Particularly on a rainy day, the gardens opposite the McCance building is what you’re after. Sitting on a bench, in the rain, crying till your heart’s content is bound to get sympathy off of strangers walking past. It might get you some strange looks and make some groups nudge one another, but the main thing is you’ll release some stress, leaving you to get up and enjoy the rest of your day!