Dress Up and Drink Up

Why buy a dress when you could rent one?

Why buy a dress you will only wear once, when you could rent one? Oh…St Andrews, so many events, so many themes, so little time and so little money to buy a new outfit.

Panic not. A group of 5 fashion entrepreneurs have come to the rescue. Students from Management’s second year ‘Enterprise and Creativity’ module have come up with a concept to solve all of our outfit problems with their event “Dress Up and Drink Up”.

What do St Andrews students need? Or rather, what do we have an abundance of? Events. The girls, like the budding entrepreneurs they are, carried out market research to determine how many events girls attend, and how many dresses this leaves them with. The business plan expanded as the group delved into marketing strategies, financing, and their partnership with the Vic.

So, how does it work?

It all starts on Wednesday October 29th, when the organisers will be at the Vic from 1-3 for a dress drop-off, so bring along any dresses you’d like to share.

The following Sunday, November 2nd, come along to the Vic from 4-7pm and raid through the collection to find your perfect outfit! The event itself functions as a shopping trip and a social event in one. The Vic will be divided into three rooms; a display room, a dressing room and a bar area, so you can grab a cocktail and peruse the racks. When you find the dress of your dreams you have the option of renting it for 2, 3 or 4 weeks, before returning it to its owner, so check your calendar!

Worried about offering your dresses? No need! Responsibility waivers will be agreed to by everyone renting a dress, explaining that all dresses must be returned clean and undamaged, and if something does happen compensation will be granted to the owner, so do not hesitate to drop your dress in!

Not only will this event help the girls in their Management module, they are also giving proceeds to their chosen charity, Imagine for Margo. Dedicated to a close friend, this is an organisation close to the girls’ hearts; advocating for children with cancer and their families, it aims to fund new innovative research that provides more effective treatment for patients.

So raid your wardrobe, find that dress you wore to Opening Ball in First Year, and bring it along to the Vic on Wednesday 29th October. Donating a dress grants you FREE ENTRY to the event on Sunday, otherwise entry to the event is £5 (all of which goes to Imagine for Margo). The girls look forward to seeing you there!