Oktoberfest: A Question of Connections

Is it possible to get a ticket without the St Andrews “connection”?

Oktoberfest is best known for the slightly risqué but ever so alluring Dirndl, traditional German music, food, and of course – the beer.  The sixteen day festival leading up to the first Sunday of October has come to represent much more than Bavarian culture and tradition. When the first Sunday of October falls on the 1st or 2nd of the month, the festival is extended until the 3rd in order to celebrate German unity day, commemorating the reunification of Germany in 1990. Millions of people from across the globe travel to Munich to take part in the festivities, and many have attempted with success to emulate the original Oktoberfest in their own cities.

Since 2006 Bavaria has been coming to the Kinkell Byre in full force. Unlike FS, DONT WALK, or even Bongo Ball, Oktoberfest isn’t your typical St Andrews event, but there is just as much of a demand for tickets, if not more. With that being said, think back – the event is in a few weeks. Ticket sales are done and dusted. Did you see any advertising? If I’m honest, I wasn’t even aware of ticket sales for Oktoberfest this year. The event, while not exclusive, is very much shrouded in mystery.

In order to shed some light on the matter, I met with some of the senior members of the St Andrews Charity Oktoberfest committee. Immanuel Jebsen, half Danish and half German from Hong Kong, and Stella Schmadl, of FS fame, is a fully-fledged German living in Switzerland.

I was intrigued to learn that 300 tickets for Oktoberfest were sold internationally through their website, accounting for roughly a third of the attendees. There are 70 tables for the students of St Andrews, each seating 10, meaning that 700 people should be able to attend. In order to get a table, you need to sign up to the Oktoberfest ballot within the three-hour period set out by the committee. Tables are allocated via a raffle, with each person’s name assigned a number. This year there were roughly 700 people who signed up. The numbers are then plucked randomly out of a digital hat, using a computer program.

However, each member of the committee is allocated two tables each. This year there are 6 members of the committee, meaning that there are 12 tables less, leaving only 58 tables and 580 possible attendees. An extra twist in the tale is that one of the tables is auctioned at FS, this year going for £1500. Are you still with me? There are now 57 tables and 570 attendees.

Many people who have been unsuccessful in getting a table for Oktoberfest believe that there is a severe amount of nepotism amongst the committee and their extended friend groups. No matter how lucky you are or how many years you’ve been trying to get a table, it just comes down to who you know. But after speaking with Stella and Immanuel and realising just how high demand is for tables, coupled with the fact that tables are assigned randomly – it really is just a (well constrained) numbers game.

So, 700 people sign up, but of those 700 only 57 are chosen, which means that a mere 8% of those signing up get selected. The advice of the committee is to have all of your friends individually sign up, as this is the only way to boost your chances.

There you have it. Oktoberfest, arguably one of the most coveted events on the St Andrews calendar, is not quite a corrupt enterprise, better described as a charitable, highly sought after event. So don’t be bitter if you didn’t get a ticket this year, it really is a case of luck, and trying to play the odds.

Of course, it wouldn’t hurt to become a friend of someone who will be on the committee next year…

Oktoberfest will be held on Saturday 8th of March at Kinkell Byre. This year they are supporting Tayside Children with Cancer and Leukaemia (TCCL). 

Images courtesy of Kelly Diepenbrock and PINUP Photography.