Single in St Andrews (take 2)

Single and ready for a Pringle?

I am single. Similar to most people at this ‘university of couples’, I am yet to have a serious long-term girlfriend. Does this hang round my neck as I trudge from the library to halls? Do I feel this trait defines me or highlights my complete lack of social rapport with the fairer sex? Not in the slightest. 
I don’t brag about my status, it’s just a part of who I am; the same way I have blonde hair and green eyes.

When applying to this university, despite its reputation as one the UK’s leading academic institutions with world famous golf links, there was one other feature that was particularly prevalent. This is a couples’ uni. It has been brought to the forefront as the place where ‘Kate met Wills’ with the terrifying stat that 20% of students form a relationship with someone else from this uni. Nonetheless, I confirmed my offer expecting to happily be in the 80%.

Where else am I going to encounter such sweet ratios on a night out? How many other places can boast so many attractive women? I’ve partied from Oceana to Mahiki, Leeds to Bristol. If I’m honest, nowhere holds a candle to here. The Other Guys had it right – “Our St Andrews girls, they’re unforgettable”.

My singleness may well be due to my shortcomings, in either a mental or physical capacity, maybe even
both. I write this article not as someone who’s devastated by this standing but as someone who, quite simply, accepts this for what it is.

This is a ‘terrible’ place to be single, especially for girls. Whilst being somewhat (although not entirely) socially unacceptable to admit this, they still have the same urges as guys. With living in the bubble, nothing goes unnoticed. We lack the “nightclub anonymity” and size of Manchester or Newcastle where people can go about their private business instead of tiptoeing around Market Street at 5am. I ,for one, have a group of flatmates that upon hearing the noise of more than one person in my room, sit eagerly on the stairs to see who emerges in the morning. Is this right? Is this fair? Unfortunately, this is not a philosophy essay, so you can form your own judgment.

The solution to all these problems would appear, for an uncomplicated individual such as myself, relatively simple…get a partner. Someone who cares exclusively for you, keeps you warm on those cold November nights, makes sure you never leave an event alone and buys you Empire when the night is over. Sounds dreamy, doesn’t it? If your answer is yes, then there I think lays the problem. You are looking for a relationship – and before any relationship – you have to date.

Note: don’t go out looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend, cuddle buddy or even worse, a “potential husband”. I have heard that term banded round Starbucks a worrying amount of times. “I’m not here to get an MA, just a MRS”. Really? Where are those carefree school days? Have a laugh, talk to whoever and dance the night away. Everyone here has something different to offer, and if the given the opportunity, are more than willing to share. Don’t just glean over them because they’re not a fourth year in the rugby team or an FS model. And who knows? People have a habit of finding things when they’re not looking…