Hamish McHamish to be bronzed

St Andrews’ favourite friendly feline, Hamish McHamish, is set to have his likeness cast in bronze thanks to generous donations from town residents. Getting involved in student politics.  The fundraiser aims […]

St Andrews’ favourite friendly feline, Hamish McHamish, is set to have his likeness cast in bronze thanks to generous donations from town residents.

Getting involved in student politics. 

The fundraiser aims to collect £5000 and has already achieved 18% of their goal. “Our statue is a way of saying thank you to Hamish for being so purrrfectly adorable and to celebrate him and the joy he brings us,” Flora Selwyn wrote on the fundraising site Bloom Venture Catalyst.

Having a cuddle when he was feeling down.

Scottish sculptor David Annand, who has been commissioned for the project, told The Courier the sculpture will take a month to finish and will weigh about 50kg. ‘I’ve not started yet, but straight away I imagine it’s going to be a sculpture where Hamish is sitting down.’ With a commanding eye.

Unconditional love: Hamish will put up with anything.

The sculpture will rival the immortalised Greyfriars Bobby of Edinburgh. The Skye Terrier allegedly spent 14 years guarding his owner’s grave before dying himself in 1872. A year later, his statue and fountain (well, la-di-da…) were erected at the Southern end of the George IV Bridge to memorialise him. Love for Bobby continues in the city and he has since been honoured further through books and films.

Hamish, the modern-day, St Andrean Greyfriars Bobby, though more of a rogue kitty than loyal terrier, is welcomed wherever he chooses to bring his Midas touch, has 5000 Facebook friends and, as of October, his own bookHamish McHamish, Cool Cat About Town. When are The Other Guys going to drop a single about this King? Is Hugh Hudson available for a film to rival Chariots of Fire? This cat is legendary, let’s give him the respect he deserves – donate any amount today to be a part of the celebration!

Hamish was not available for comment, but is rumoured to be scheduling a spa holiday prior to sitting for Annand.

Headline image courtesy of heraldscotland.com; article images: www.facebook.com/hamish.mchamish.3