Scottish student rugby selection

Last Friday evening, three St Andrews students were selected to represent the Scottish Universities rugby team. Chris Musgrave, Chris Wardle and Jamie Urquhart all featured in the Scottish Unis match […]

Last Friday evening, three St Andrews students were selected to represent the Scottish Universities rugby team. Chris Musgrave, Chris Wardle and Jamie Urquhart all featured in the Scottish Unis match against Irish province Connaught’s ‘A’ team.

Connaught, who are fully professional and sit 10th in the Rabodirect Pro 12, fielded a team featuring 4 players who have played in the Heineken Cup, Europe’s premier club competition. Although the match finished 56-3 to Connaught, the game provided the students with a great opportunity to test themselves against professionals.

Those involved were naturally delighted to represent their country and the University of St Andrews. Number 8 Chris Musgrave told the stand “I feel privileged to receive such a high honour and to represent your country at any level is special”, while centre Jamie Urquhart said “International representation, whether for the first time or 100th time, is a great achievement for any athlete; I am honoured to have had another chance to represent Scotland and this time, represent the University in a National squad”.

Scottish Unis’ next fixture is against Scotland U-20s in March. No doubt the game against Connaught will stand them in good stead for the rest of the season. 

Written by Matthew Coleman, grandstand co-Editor

Photo: © Facebook.com/standrews.rugby