Radio reaches for the STARs

STAR has recently reported their ‘most listened to premiere week ever.’ The Stand spoke to Tristan VanDeventer, Station Manager, and Oscar Swedrup, Director of Content, to find out more. Between the […]

STAR has recently reported their ‘most listened to premiere week ever.’ The Stand spoke to Tristan VanDeventer, Station Manager, and Oscar Swedrup, Director of Content, to find out more.

Between the two of them, Tristan and Oscar share the responsibility of managing the shows and schedule, sorting out technical issues and running the new website, together with the Committee. When asked about their growing success, their long list of explanations reflects their enthusiasm and plans for the station. Tristan attributes their success to a serious marketing push during Fresher’s Week (which, if you didn’t encounter, means you need to spend less time in your room).  The new website has also transformed how listeners can interact with the shows, and the continuity of shows from last year has allowed old audiences to grow while new shows have brought in new listeners.

Tristan has been involved with STAR since working with the News Team in his first year. He then did a show in second year, was on the committee by third year and is now Station Manager for his final year.  Oscar is in the second year of his show ‘Us Folk’ and has been made Director of Content to “make sure the radio represents St Andrews in the best way.”  Although most people propose shows at the beginning of semesters, any particularly ‘killer’ show (Tristan’s words) would never be refused.

Whatever the reason, Tristan and Oscar have been doing something right.  Although the ratings range widely depending on the show, the listening numbers are peaking in the fifties and sixties, which is “very good for this size of university” and is “about double last year’s average.” Both clearly take pride in the radio station and in their ‘incredibly strong’ team.

With the big change of website and new direction of content, the main aim for next year is to expand STAR’s partnerships with other societies, such as B-Sides, who are organising Mr Scruff’s upcoming event.  “We don’t compete, just add.” The new relationships are adding to STAR too, with planned podcasts of Music is Love, the Union Debating Society and Open Mic Nights.

Tune in anytime between noon and midnight to hear the music, the chat and the STARdom that St Andrews has to offer.