Beyond the Bubble: Edinburgh

Join India Doyle on her quest to find what’s what in the world beyond the bubble, guiding you on the best shopping, sightseeing, eating, drinking, dancing, and all the rest. […]

Join India Doyle on her quest to find what’s what in the world beyond the bubble, guiding you on the best shopping, sightseeing, eating, drinking, dancing, and all the rest.  First installment:  Edinburgh.

SHOP AT – Princes Street and George Street provide you with a range of standard shops, from Urban Outfitters to Topshop, but if you want something a bit special cross into the heart of the old town and head for the Grass Market. Armstrong’s is Edinburgh’s finest vintage shop. Catch it on a good day and you can re-pimp your entire wardrobe for under fifty pounds; on a bad day you’ll leave with at least an excellent jumper or shirt. The Grass Market in general is laden with good vintage. Another place is the Barnado’s Shop just opposite from Armstrong’s. If you want to spend your student loan wisely go to Harvey Nichols in St Andrews Square, here you will find a range of designer brands, good food and a vast selection of make up. Cruise on George Street does both menswear and womenswear and is a great place to find dresses, handbags, and shoes.

VISIT – Unless you’re completely oblivious, the tourist attraction(s) in Edinburgh are fairly obvious.  Some places that are slightly less glaring but still worthwhile are:

1. The Private Gardens – This might be your hardest visit because you have to have a key to get into these, sooo you need to make friends with a local… once you’ve done that, grab some beers and go and hang out in the Private Gardens which are all around the City.  They’re beautiful, calm, quiet, and best of all: private.
  2. If your attempts to break into the Private Gardens fail, head for Inverlieth Park and The Botanic Gardens. Both on Inverleith Row, the Botanics are truly beautiful and Inverleith Park is great place to stretch your legs AND you get a great view of the castle (especially if you go as the sun is setting).
  3. The Fruitmarket Gallery – 45 Market Street – A small gallery next to Waverly station, it usually shows contemporary and modern artists in a space small enough to ensure you won’t get bored/tired. From 28th October it will be exhibiting the work of Bill Bollinger, an American installation artist.
  4. National Galleries of Scotland – These are the Scottish National Gallery, The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery (which re–opens in December). Each house an impressive and inspiring collection of work from the old masters to contemporary artists. Definitely worth a visit—or seven—if you fancy some propa culcha.
  5. Winter Wonderland and the German Market – From November 25th Princes Street gardens gets really really festive. The German market sells mulled wine, mince pies, and every other traditional Christmas fare you could imagine. Afterwards, you can even go ice skating in the gardens if you’re feeling adventurous. Besides being really cute it gets you feeling incredibly Christmassy incredibly fast!

EAT AT – Edinburgh has the most restaurants in the world (probably). But seriously, there are… millions. If you’re freaking out about the choice, freak no further. For good sushi go to Sushiya (19 Dalry road)—best best best.  It’s tiny though, so be sure to be early or a book a table in advance. Chop Chop, with two restaurants (one in Leith and one near Haymarket), does the best goddamn dumplings ever and is rather cheap. Amore Dogs on Hanover Street is another place to check out for non pretentious Italian food, a nice atmosphere and decent prices. Cuckoo’s Bakery, a cupcake and tea Room on Dundas Street, will satisfy your most intense sweet cravings. Plus, their crockery is Edinburgh-themed to help you really immerse yourself in the city, whoop whoop.  If you find yourself looking for a place where you can sport your new Harvey Nichols purchase that same day, look no further than the Brasserie at Malmasion, a high end restaurant located on the up and coming Leith Docks with local food exquisitely prepared (and generous portioned, so you get your money’s worth).

DRINK AT – The Brass Monkey –14 Drummond Street, in the heart of the student area, the Brass Monkey is a super chill bar. So chill in fact that the back room is full of mattresses. At three pm every day they screen a film, chosen by the first people to arrive, so if you’re a film snob you’ll want to make sure to be there on time. If you’re feeling more sophisticated head to Brambles, a tiny cocktail bar located in a sort of underground cave on Queen Street and Hanover, it’s a cosy place to hang out and nurse a martini whilst reclining in the pillow laden alcoves. Post Brambles why not stumble up the street and check out 99? It’s a great bar with eclectic DJs who play everything from Otis Redding to house. The bar tenders alone mean you’ll have a great time (they’re really hot). Oloroso, a rooftop bar, is located at the end of George Street and has beautiful views of the Castle. It is Scotland though, so if you’re planning on going make sure you take a million jumpers and a full wallet – it’s pretty expensive but totally worth it darling.

GO CLUBBIN’ AT – George Street is where it’s at for a great end to your evening. Opal Lounge, Whynot? and Lulu’s will keep you busy until the early hours. Alternatively, if you’re feeling alternative, Cabaret Voltaire (on Blair street) is a club housed in the underground caverns of The Cowgate. The Bongo Club (on Holyrood Road) plays soul, jazz and reggae and is always a good night out.

Written by India Doyle, standing-room-only editor