Image may contain: Fur, Person, People, Human

It’s official, Southampton University is second in the South-East

We beat Sussex, Surrey and Portsmouth

The Sunday Times are releasing their annual Good University Guide rankings this weekend, which reveal the University of Southampton has climbed to second in the South-East, beaten only by Oxford.

Southampton has done exceptionally well this year, in comparison to last, jumping from 30th overall last year, to 18th, as well as rocketing to 2nd in it’s regional rank.

This dramatic improvement is one of the largest changes at the top of the list.

The Times states that Soton’s rankings improved on ‘almost every measure’, being one of six universities that were promoted from a Bronze TEF to a Silver TEF within the last year.

On the regional list, the University now ranks above the likes of Surrey, Reading, Sussex and Portsmouth. Southampton Solent ranked 12th in the South-East, and 85th nationally.

The rankings are based on criteria such as student satisfaction, teaching quality, research quality, entry qualifications and graduate prospects among other measures.

The breakdown of Southampton’s results showed 78.7 per cent NSS teaching excellence, and 78.1 per cent NSS student experience.

The statistics also show that 92.4 per cent of students complete their degree at Southampton, and 82.1 per cent graduates go on to professional jobs or continue at graduate level study. In comparison to Oxford’s 83.5 per cent, it’s not bad at all.

So, there you have it, some brilliant news to start the year and make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I think that calls for a trip to Stags, don’t you?