Southampton vs Bristol City Match Report

Tuesday night saw Southampton take on Bristol City at St. Mary’s in the Capital One Cup third round. With Southampton fielding a reserve team, none of their starting 11 started […]

Gaston Ramirez celebrates after scoring an incredible volley - Credit @southamptonfc

Gaston Ramirez celebrates after scoring an incredible volley – Credit @southamptonfc

Tuesday night saw Southampton take on Bristol City at St. Mary’s in the Capital One Cup third round.

With Southampton fielding a reserve team, none of their starting 11 started against Liverpool, many key players were resting ahead of their Premier League encounter with Crystal Palace at the weekend. Despite this, they still had the ability to overcome League One Bristol City with ease.

Southampton had the better of the play in the first half, with Bristol City unable to cope with some of the passing from the Southampton midfield of Cork, Ward-Prowse, and Ramirez.

Southampton took a deserved lead on 15 minutes when a ball over the top caught out the Bristol City defence and James Ward-Prowse set up Gaston Ramirez on the edge of the box who struck a sensational left-footed volley into the top corner of the net.

But for a bit more clinical finishing, Southampton could have gone into half time two or three goals ahead, with Guly do Prado notably underperforming.

In the second half Southampton were awful, giving the ball away in their own third of the pitch on numerous occasions. Southampton reserve keeper Kelvin Davis was on hand to prevent Bristol City with some fine saves. Against better opposition Southampton would have been made to pay dearly for their mistakes.

Bristol City’s fate was sealed 7 minutes from time as centre back Jos Hooiveld headed home from a James Ward-Prowse corner to subdued applause from the Saints’ fans,

A professional performance from Southampton who progress to the next round after a job reasonably well done. Their attention now turns to Crystal Palace on Saturday.