ECS Hit by Phishing Scam

ECS students have been targeted by a phishing scam, in attempt to gain access to the university systems. Members of the Electronics and Computer Science department at the University have […]

ECS students have been targeted by a phishing scam, in attempt to gain access to the university systems.

Members of the Electronics and Computer Science department at the University have received an email which appears to come from a university staff email address, belonging to a visiting lecturer of chemistry. It is assumed that this staff member has had his university log in details compromised.

The offending email

The email, which asks students to confirm their continuing membership, links to a site that looks identical to that of the normal ECS log in.

A convincing copy of the ECS Intranet Login screen

The website that students are actually being redirected to is www.dobanovci.com. After some Tab investigationwe have discovered that this was originally simply a town’s site, which itself has been compromised.

The DNS record for the site is registered to a Vladmir Belic in Belgrade, Serbia

However the computer that this points at is registered in Stockholm, Sweden, which belongs to a genuine hosting company Loopia.com.

However, there is no evidence which suggests that any of the named were involved in this attack.

iSolutions told The Tab that access to the website from university systems was quickly blocked and any users had passwords reset within minutes. Students are advised to completely disregard this email and to never follow a link where you are requested to give out your password and username.

If you have received this email, please do not enter your university log in details.