SUSU CENSORS Wessex Scene…but are we really surprised?

In an ‘open letter‘ published on the Wessex Scene website today, Editor Dan Webb has hit out at SUSU, whom he claims are censoring ‘a department within SUSU which is supposed […]

In an ‘open letter‘ published on the Wessex Scene website today, Editor Dan Webb has hit out at SUSU, whom he claims are censoring ‘a department within SUSU which is supposed to be a journalistically independent entity’.

In what can only be described as a scathing attack on the SUSU puppeteers, Dan describes several instances where the WS has been prevented from publishing articles, pictures and cartoons, as they did not conform to SUSU’s own marketing agenda. Examples of the pictures and cartoons censored are shown in this article.

Too offensive?

Whilst of course it should be noted that the WS is an entity within SUSU and thus funded by the union, surely the student journalists should be able to use our student union to publicise pieces they consider to be relevant for student consumption? The SUSU website claims ‘best of all – SUSU is governed by students’. Contrary to this, it seems a body that is meant to be accountable to the student population is actively preventing journalistic freedom and integrity.

Too provocative?

Whilst this revelation may not come as a surprise to many who have come into contact with the workings of the ‘SUSU Media Empire’, it is still hard to believe that an organisation that claims to represent Southampton University’s student population, actively attempts to hijack and stifle the student voice.

This issue of censorship at the WS has been raised before, when last year the Wessex Blog was set up totally separate from the Students’ Union. It was eventually deemed appropriate to affiliate the blog with SUSU and become the ‘Wessex Scene Online’, a decision strongly opposed last year. Many of those who pushed for the affiliation now regret the decision.

We have reached out to SUSU for a comment, and we’ll post it here once we receive a reply.