Sabb candidates BREAK election rules (before nominations even close)

Students and campaigners have called foul as Sabb candidates start to campaign on facebook earlier than allowed, let alone before nominations finish. The election rules, clearly published on the SUSU […]

Students and campaigners have called foul as Sabb candidates start to campaign on facebook earlier than allowed, let alone before nominations finish.

The election rules, clearly published on the SUSU website state:

“Campaigning, including online, may not start until 11.00 am Thursday 24th February 2011” (Clause 5a).

Candidates such as Emily Eldridge updated “just nominated myself :)” which was liked by 12 people may believe that they are not campaigning, however the 12 likes show that it’s publicly acknowledged.

Sam Ling’s status simply floated with “Nominated!” which was liked by 18 people, and the comments that followed included ‘El presidente’ and ‘did you say “boom” after you clicked nominate as well?’

Quite blatantly Shane Murphy posted “Manifesto…done, advert…done, Nomination… done, elections…to do”.

Last year’s candidates were clearly told not to do this as it breached the rules, but somehow there was a miscommunication this year. Understandably, no penal action may be carried out, but how will that redress the balance or set a precedent for fair, transparent and democratic elections.

To our knowledge, so far the following people have posted on-line that they nominated themselves:

• Shane Murphy
  • Jo Mclo
  • Sasha Watson
  • Jess Staff
  • Sam Ling
  • Aaron Bali
  • Sami Stephenson

Campaigners who didn’t break the rules have been infuriated that this has been allowed to happen, and that the deadline for the removal of comments is the morning of Friday the 18th and not immediately.

After hours of slogging, conferring and planning campaigns, some candidates and their supporters feel bewildered by these events. Matt Quinn a campaigner for a rule abiding candidate commented “We feel emotionally battered to see this happening, when all we can do is complain and shed light on it. The election staff are doing what they can to fix and prevent this, I just wish the candidates were acting more responsibly”