UoN delays releasing degree certificates, advises students pay if they need them urgently

Upon reaching out for comment, the uni confirmed to The Tab Notts that students who need them urgently for employers or visas will be reimbursed

After delaying the release of degree certificates, UoN advised students who required proof of their qualification for employers or future study to pay for a letter confirming their attainment.

Students who got in contact with the uni were advised to order either Confirmation of Degree Letters or a duplicate certificate.

Upon reaching out for comment, the university confirmed to The Tab Nottingham that students who urgently require evidence of their degree for their employers or visas will be reimbursed the cost.

Email sent by Student Services to UoN student

The link at the bottom of this email takes the student to a page where they can order a Confirmation of Degree Letter for £5.

In another email from the School of English a student concerned about receiving her transcript was informed that e-certificates would be sent out to all students by 18 August, however this did not materialise.

The email also stated that: “If you would like a copy to be sent to a third party, details and potential costs can be found on the online store page.”

Email sent by The English ESE Team

On the website, which is linked in the second email pictured, a graduate can order a transcript for £10. However the site also states that: “Unfortunately we are not able to accept Graduation Transcript orders from Summer 2021 graduates unless they can provide evidence of an imminent deadline.”

Following the postponement of graduation ceremonies and delays in receiving transcripts, the University’s suggestion that students pay for certification (having already paid £27,000 in tuition fees) has come as yet another disappointing shock to the Class of 2021 at UoN.

A University of Nottingham spokesperson said: “We have been emailing e-certificates to 9,000 graduates as planned, but have temporarily halted the service while we address technical issues. We are extremely sorry for the delay in issuing certificates and for any resulting anxiety or inconvenience.

“We will resume the service as soon as possible. In the meantime, summer 2021 graduates who need certificates urgently for employers or visas can use our online duplicate certificate service. While this is a charged service, we will reimburse graduates who need to use this for urgent certificates at this time.”