Your ultimate guide to the best post-library pint spots in Notts

The most important article I’ve ever written

The post-library pint is a staple of the student experience, it’s what the student loan was invented for after all. This is especially relevant to final years who want to forget the stress of writing their dissertation but don’t have the energy for clubbing anymore. It doesn’t matter if you have worked solidly for seven straight hours because you left your essay till the last minute or if you went for an hour and spent the entire time scrolling through TikTok – that pint is well deserved and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. The hard part is not the studying, that comes when deciding where to go for that rewarding pint. Nottingham has some great options in that department so here are all the best spots for that post-library pint.

Mooch

Let’s be honest this is the safe option (or the freshers option), but by no means a bad one. Mooch underwent a significant makeover at the start of the year and is ideally located in the Portland Building just across from Hallward Library. You can even play pool or darts with your friends to wind down after your long study session. I know many will disagree about Mooch being an ideal spot but cheap pints and a good student vibe, what’s not to like?

Organ Grinder

Somewhere a little different. A Blue Monkey brewery pub located on Alfreton Road where you will want to steal their cool beer mats. With a great selection of beers ( up to nine different cask ales including some great sour ones) and an even better playlist in the background, Organ Grinder is a top choice for that well-earned pint. Like nearly all of the pubs on this list, it has a great outdoor seating area and unlike the other pubs, there is a piano you can play.

Sheaves

The Three Wheatsheaves is one for summer with its massive outdoor seating area and cheap pints (or pitchers if you’re planning on being there a while), it’s commonly referred to as one of Nottingham’s best student pubs. The only real downside is the £5 minimum card limit, but if we’re honest is buying two pints at a time such a hardship? Sheaves has a lot going for it and is perfectly located on Derby Road making it very convenient to stop in on your way home from your mammoth library session, frankly, it would be rude not to.

The White Hart

£2.50 Carlsberg all day – need I say more?

A personal favourite of mine, The White Hart is located by the Gregory Street tram stop and is ideal for a post-library pint for this very reason. There is also a food truck out back if you forgot to eat in the rush to finish your coursework and live sport on the many TV screens installed as part of a recent makeover. By no means the fanciest pub in Nottingham but it fits the all-important student criteria of being cheap and being easy to get to and from. It’s no wonder I spent most of my second year here and you should definitely try it out as well.

Rose & Crown

Ending on a high with another classic Derby Road student haunt, The Rose & Crown is right next to Jubilee Campus meaning you will almost certainly walk past it on your way home. A popular choice for a reason, the open plan design creates a great pub atmosphere and the pub has recently been expanded to provide even more seating, making it a great choice for after a group library trip. They even do a good pub quiz on a Monday evening if you want to take your mind off the never-ending essay you’ve just written. As good a place as any for your post-library pint before heading home.

Talk to Tabitha: The Tab Notts’ Agony Aunt returns

Attention Notts final years: Here’s how to secure yourself a grad scheme

What degree you probably study based on your favourite Nottingham bar