Nottingham University introduces mandatory breathalyser for all students before lectures

This comes after attendance to morning lectures dropped to an all time low

A leaked email has revealed that the University of Nottingham plans to implement breathalyser tests for all students entering lectures.

UoN will be the first university in the country to implement such a policy.

According to the email, the university seek to implement this scheme due to low attendance and poor assessment performance across the board.

Students turning up for lectures and seminars will be asked to blow into a free standing breathalyser and if they are below the legal limit of  80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath then they will be allowed to remain in the class. If that student blows a reading higher than this then they will be denied entry to their class and marked as absent.

The leaked email was obtained by The Tab Nottingham from an anonymous university staff member.

According to the anonymous uni insider, lecturers are “sick of no one turning up to their 9am classes” or turning up “hungover and groggy unable to concentrate.” They added that lecturers have petitioned the university “for years” to do something about it but they never have until now.

April Thacker, a second year History student at UoN, told The Tab Notts: “I have regularly attended lectures hungover and it has never stopped me from having full attention in class. Everybody knows that Wednesday nights are the best night out of the week and I don’t think this will stop anyone from choosing to go to Crisis or any other mid-week night.”

According to the email, the policy will be implemented across all schools when students return from the Easter break on the 29th April.

You should probably check the date, you April fools!

• From nightlife to natural beauty: This is what Notts students love most about the city

Nottingham student sentenced for involvement in Depop designer clothing scam

Your ultimate guide to the best post-library pint spots in Notts