These are the best independent coffee shops around Newcastle to try this winter

No more queuing down Northumberland Street for Pret

Cosy season is here and deadlines are slowly starting to creep up on us, so we’ve compiled the best independent coffee shops in Newcastle where you can get your caffeine fix – all while helping a small business. These coffee shops are all based around Newcastle City Centre or Jesmond, so you can get a quick coffee in between lectures or grab a seat and catch up on your notes for that 9am you missed. It’s great to shop local and these independent coffee shops are just some of our favourites around the Toon.

Flat Caps Coffee

First up is Flat Caps Coffee, located next to World HQ in town. Flat Caps is full of plants and fairy lights, making it perfect for that cosy coffee and Instagram story, and is a really relaxed atmosphere. A perfect place to go and get some work done. Not only is the coffee delicious but Flat Caps also offer a great brunch menu and amazing homemade cakes.

Cake Stories

Cake Stories is a firm fan favourite for Jesmond residents and is not to be missed. As well as their infamous cakes (we really recommend the red velvet) and great coffee, Cake Stories also has a great variety of flavoured teas in store, as well as cocktails, with the venue becoming a café bar in the evening – for when that deadline gets a bit too much and only an Aperol Spritz will do. Cake stories also has a second, bigger, location in Hoults Yard, Byker, which serves breakfast and lunch food menu too.

Local

Another Jesmond cafe, Local opened in 2021 and has already become a resident favourite. Local offer a great range of drinks, as well as doubling as an off-license where you can get your hands on locally brewed beers and natural wines – which could also make a great Christmas gift!

Pink Lane Bakery

If you’ve ever been recommended a coffee shop in Newcastle, it was probably Pink Lane Bakery. Pink Lane have several locations around Newcastle, most recently opening their third site on Acorn Road in Jesmond in July, where you can grab a coffee and one of their homemade artisan bakes or maybe try something from their breakfast menu.

Café 1901

While you’re in Jesmond, you can also pop into Cafe 1901, known for it’s delicious brunch menu, homemade bakes and cool location – in a revamped church. It’s also a great place to take family and friends visiting and although it can get quite busy at weekends, it’s worth the wait. You can also pop into a 1901 in Gosforth or New Bridge Street, Manors.

North Shore Coffee

North Shore Coffee is ideal for a coffee on-the-go. They have several locations across Newcastle including Little Moor Park, Jesmond Food Market and Quayside Market, while their main venue is located in Grainger Market. All of their locations also offer grab-and-go freshly made sandwiches and snacks and they even have a stall at the Christmas Markets this year, if you’re feeling festive.

Ouseburn Coffee Company (OCC)

Finally, the OCC; self-proclaimed “North East’s leading coffee specialists” roast their own coffee beans and provide coffee to many coffee shops around Newcastle. They’ve recently also opened their own shops too in Jesmond and Whitley Bay, as well as popping up at Jesmond Food Market and Tynemouth Station Market at the weekends, so it’s easier than ever to get your hands on a Toon exclusive coffee.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.