Six festive things you can do in Newcastle this Christmas

A non-exhaustive list of free activities to increase procrastination this festive season

Many students consider Christmas to be their favourite time of year for its festive season, wholesome family celebrations and last but certainly not least… its deluge of presents. Talking of which, it’s nearly time to be broke again – and I don’t just mean after a night out but rather because your loved ones will be expecting something under the tree for them. So, as the Christmas holidays are just around the corner and you have better things to focus on than your assignments, here’s a list of places and free activities you can explore with your housemates in the toon.

1. Fenwick Christmas Window

For over 50 years, thousands of people have been visiting the festive Fenwick Christmas Window – in fact, it’s become a tradition for many. Open from 7th November up to early January, this year’s theme is Clarice Bean: Think Like an Elf, which is a circus-inspired Christmas.

2. Grainger Christmas market

Grainger market will be open every day from 21st November to 24th December from 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Saturday, and from 11am to 4pm on Sundays. Leading up to the Grainger market, there will be a variety of stalls on Grey Street. With great effort to support local traders, the event will mainly prioritise small businesses.

3. Winter Wonderland

For those who love a thrill, this amusement and theme park is the perfect place. Based at the Newcastle Racecourse in Gosforth it offers rides, Christmas food stalls, bars, an ice rink, magical characters and much more. There’s a different event on each day from the 17th November until the 24th December, so make sure to cop a ticket before you go.

4. Search for Santa Trail

On 1st December from 9:45am to 2pm, a free event will be hosted by NE1 and Active Newcastle in the city centre. Along the trail, you’ll come across various elf craft stops for you to unleash your creativity and at the end all children (and hopefully extra smiley students) will be given a goody bag. Also, don’t forget to keep your trail maps as they will be entered into a prize draw for a chance to win some great prizes.

5. The Cathedral’s festive services

A few events will be held in the run-up to the holidays in honour of Christmas. These include the Advent Procession of Light, Walking Nativity, Crib Service, Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, Candlelit Midnight Mass and Festival Eucharist for Christmas day. In addition, there’ll be guest performances in December and, if your singing’s not too off-key, join the choir for some traditional Christmas carols!

6. Laser light and sound shows at the Quayside

With Christmas comes the New Year, which means laser lights at the Quayside. It’s absolutely stunning seeing the skies of Newcastle shining in an array of colours. You can enjoy this spectacular event near the Tyne bridge between 30th December and 1st January.