Northumbria Christian Union has been giving out free pizza for lunch all week

It comes after the society’s Newcastle University counterpart also held a similar campaign last week.

If you’re a Northumbria student we’ve got good news: this week you can get free pizza for lunch, courtesy of the university’s Christian Union society.

Last week, the Christian society at Newcastle hosted a week of events, put up a tent and handed out free teas and coffees, this week it seems it’s the turn of Northumbria.

The Northumbria-equivalent is now also hosting a week of events offering students free pizza bars, dodgeball tournaments and even a murder mystery.

Students were caught by surprise on Monday when a wood-fired pizza oven was wheeled to the centre of campus, and the CU began handing out free slices of pizza, all to advertise the lunch bars they’re holding each day for the rest of the week.

Students queued up to get their hands on the free food on Monday

We spoke to President, Caleb Davies, and asked him why they were doing it. He said the society wanted to counter the bad news that was currently dominating the media: “We’re putting on a week full of events because we believe Christianity is such great news and we don’t want to keep that news to ourselves.”

The group has titled their week of events: “news that changes everything” saying they wanted to try and combat all the bad news currently dominating our screens.

Davies was keen to stress that the events weren’t aimed at other Christians, “We believe that – if true – this news changes everything, so it doesn’t matter what background you come from, come along challenge our beliefs, we’d love to meet you and start a conversation.”

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.