Nine Newcastle pub quizzes you don’t want to miss out on

The cash prizes alone make them worth it

If you don’t fancy going out on the Toon, you can still have just as much of a laugh staying closer to home by going to one of the many pub quizzes right on your doorstep.

There’s plenty of them held throughout the week, so there’s always time for you to take a break from assignments and chill with your mates by putting your knowledge to the test –you could even leave with a bit of cash in your pocket.

Here’s the nine best pub quizzes in Newcastle, for every day of the week.

Habita – Monday, 8pm

The Northumbria University SU bar is always good fun, and gets even better on a Monday. Entry is just £1 and they often run themed quizzes throughout the semester.

Food is served until 9pm with pizzas starting from £3.10 and a variety of burgers and bar meals on offer – believe us when we say their food is amazing.

Pints start at £2.60, selected doubles and mixer from £3.50, a variety of which are served in pitchers priced at just £7.50.

The North Terrace – Thursday, arrive by 7:15pm

The North Terrace is situated just next to the Sports Centre at Newcastle Uni, and you’ll see plenty of students having a cheeky pint in between lectures during the day.

Every Thursday teams of up to eight people can take part in their quiz with entry at just £1 per person. With plenty of prizes to be won, teams are asked to arrive by 7:15pm to buy tickets and get a drink before the quiz commences.

The winning team gets a £25 bar tab and Play Your Cards Right at the end of the quiz can end in one lucky person taking home £250.

Lonsdale – Thursday and Sunday, 8pm

The Lonsdale pub is in heart of West Jesmond and has two very entertaining and unique quizzes.

Thursday is the Quiz Bingo! The winner of each round gets a bar token worth at least £10. This is to be played individually, question numbers are random and you need to fill your card then call bingo when you have a line of correct answers.

Sunday night is a standard quiz format with five rounds of ten questions. The overall winner wins 50 per cent of the prize pot and the rest of the pot is then shared with second, third and second last.

They also run a Jackpot Joker at the end of each quiz with tickets priced at £1 and the cash prize running up to £1000. There’s also a 20 per cent student discount every night so don’t forget your student card.

Blue Bell – Monday and Wednesday, 8pm

Blue Bell is a must if you live in Jesmond Vale/Sandyford – even if you live further away, it’s definitely worth a short walk to visit to the idyllic pub.

The Monday night quiz is £1 a head and has cash prizes of up to £500.

The Wednesday quiz is completely free with one lucky winner getting a meal for two and a bottle of wine and second place receiving a meal for two as well.

Even if you end up on the losing side, both quizzes give away a bottle of wine for second to last place.

The Holy Hobo – Wednesday, 8pm

In between Jesmond and the City Centre, The Holy Hobo host the Big Fact Hunt every Wednesday.

The prize is a mystery box, pick one of the many keys and try to unlock the cash box. It builds by £50 every week until the box is unlocked and the cash is won with the potential of winning £1000.

Plenty of student deals are on offer with pints from £3.50, doubles at just £4.50 and their amazing cocktails are all £4.95.

The Trent House – Monday, 8pm

If you’re living at Castle Leazes, The Trent House is definitely the pub quiz for you – hosted by the very entertaining Quizmaster Dipsy.

It’s £1 entry and its max six people per team, DM them on Facebook to reserve a table as it’s always a sell out.

Bar Blanc – Sunday, 7:30pm

Jesmond’s Bar Blanc is always a lively place, but with the return of their Sunday night quiz, the atmosphere is about to get tense.

Entry is £2 per person and teams can be a maximum of six, so it’s perfect for you and your housemates to wind down and get ready for that 9am on Monday morning.

Don’t worry about lining your stomach beforehand as food starts from £2 and you can wash it down with £3 doubles.

Cog and Wheel – Monday, 8pm

Located next to Geisha on Sandyford Road, this cocktail bar has the perfect atmosphere for a pub quiz.

The winners takes home £50, with the runner up getting a bottle of Prosecco and the unlucky team in last place will end up with horrible shots on their table.

In between rounds there are cash games including Card Bingo and Higher or Lower.

SOHO Jesmond (Osbornes) – Sunday, 7:30pm

The Sunday night quiz at the recently rebranded Jesmond bar has become a Sunday night tradition for many students. The prize includes a £50 bar tab and free food from Brack Burger.

Its free entry, but the quiz has become increasingly popular so it’s recommended that people get down early to secure a table.

Student deals include £2.50 pints, two cocktails for £10 and 2 doubles and a bomb for £7.50.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.