Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Northumbria student nearly dies after her drink was spiked at a party

She was hospitalised for eight days

A Northumbria University student almost died after being spiked at a flat party.

Emily Haig, who studies Law, was hospitalised for eight days and had to have a blood transfusion due to a drug that was put in her drink by a stranger.

Emily has just got to a flat party in Newcastle with her friends. She was drinking a snowball cocktail before when she started feeling ill. She told the Daily Mail: "I was only there 40 minutes when I suddenly felt very hot, the next thing I knew I was on the floor with my friends boyfriend trying to shake me awake.

"I didn't even put my drink down. Somebody dropped something into it when I wasn't looking."

Image may contain: Female, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

Emily Haig, 'I'm grateful to be alive'.

Emily managed to get home from the party thanks to her friends looking after her and giving her lots of water to drink, but by Sunday things took a turn for the worse, and Emily was admitted to hospital where they found she had bleeding internally for six days.

After being discharged, the following Thursday her dad found her collapsed in the bathroom at home. She wasn't breathing and had turned blue. Emily said: "I'd stopped breathing, my blood pressure was dangerously low and I'd turned blue, but my dad brought me back."

She was then taken to hospital to have a blood transfusion.

Image may contain: Document, Text, Letter

The substance is still unidentified by doctors, and Emily has to return to hospital for more tests in two and four weeks. It is likely she will need surgery.

Emily said: "Some people think it's hilarious to do this. But it's not funny. They had no idea how I'd react.

"More than anything, I'm grateful to be alive. I don't do drugs. I like a drink, and a cheeky cigarette, but I don't do drugs. I didn't ask for this.

"If people want to take drugs, that's up to them, but they shouldn't inflict that on somebody else. I'm lucky to be alive."

On a status on Facebook, Emily warned others who find it funny to put drugs in people's drinks. She said: "If you're one of those people who think it's funny to spike people even if they're your friends and they've taken drugs before, DON'T! I've been very very lucky, but the next person may not be."