Tup Tup drive-by shooting: Twelve men arrested this morning

The shooting took place in July 2015

This morning, twelve men from Newcastle aged between 20 and 53 were arrested by the police. It’s in connection with an on-going enquiry into a drive-by shooting that took place outside Tup Tup on 6th June 2015, where a door supervisor was shot and seriously injured.

The doorman was shot in front of a crowd of 50 and witnesses described the 24-year-old bouncer, known as Matthew, walk into an ambulance with a bloodied shirt hanging from his belt.

The operation this morning was carried out by Northumbria Police who searched 12 properties in Newcastle and Gateshead, which they believed to be connected to those involved in the shooting.

In a statement Assistant Chief Constable, Darren Best, said: “This has been a large Police operation which has resulted in a number of arrests. I understand that an operation on this scale will have caused disruption locally to local people, particularly for businesses, and I would like to thank everyone for their patience this morning.”

Police will remain at addresses across Newcastle and Gateshead throughout the day to carry out inquiries and answer any questions from concerned residents in the area.

Anyone who has any information that may help the police investigation into the shooting should contact officers on 101 quoting log 1410 07/06/15 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.