Murderer of two Medics faces death penalty

They were killed in August 2014

aidan brunger borneo murder medical students medics murder neil dalton newcastle university noad stabbing Zulkipli Abdullah

A fishmonger has been found guilty of the murder of two Medical students in Borneo.

Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger, both 22, were stabbed to death just weeks before they were due to fly home.

The boys were on a six week placement at a local hospital in Kuching with five other students.

Zulkipli Abdullah, 24, admitted being in a fight with the two Medics but denied their murder.

Aidan (left) and Neil

They were found lying in a road in the early hours with stabs wounds to their chest and back.

Abdullah now faces execution after being found guilty at the trial in the Malaysian state of Sarawak.

In a joint statement, Phil and Jan Dalton, and Paul Brunger and Sue Hidson paid tribute to their sons.

They said: “Since Aidan and Neil were killed on 6 August 2014 our lives have been shattered.

“They were two exceptional young men with such promise – kind, funny and full of life. Their deaths have left their families and many good friends utterly devastated.

“Neil and Aidan were having a wonderful time in Borneo working in Sarawak hospital and also travelling around seeing as much of the beautiful country as they could. Both boys said how very welcoming and friendly the people were.”

They added: “Our sons would soon have qualified as doctors. Their unprovoked and senseless murders as they were walking home after a night out with other medical students mean Aidan and Neil will never have the chance to spend their lives caring for and helping others.

“They would have given so much to the world. We are so very proud of both of them and in what they achieved in their all too short lives.

“Although we are pleased the man responsible for their murders has been held accountable, the guilty verdict does not bring our sons back.

“We would like to thank our families, friends and everyone who has helped us through these distressing times. We would ask we are now left to grieve for Neil and Aidan in peace.”

The families’ British lawyer, Kieran Mitchell, said: “This was a savage and unprovoked attack, which lead to the death of two young men who had travelled to Borneo with the sole aim of using their medical skills to help people.

“Since that day the families have put their faith in the Borneo justice system, which is very different to our own, adding further strain and difficulty during this devastating ordeal. After a long and complicated trial they are relieved that justice has been done.”