Poly Women’s Football Thrash Poshies

Poly pick up some deserved points in the race for the Stan Calvert Cup.

STAN CALVERT UPDATE:

Women’s 1st XI: Poly 5-1 Posh

—————————————————————————-

After last year’s shock Stan Calvert win for the 1st XI, the pressure was on for a repeat performance this year. Tensions were running high with the poly fielding the home advantage made apparent by the abundance of chanting poly supporters.

However, the royals were not perturbed with their loyal fan base also getting rowdy, eager for the start of the game. A testament to both sets of fans, an electric atmosphere hung in the air in anticipation kick off.

The Royals looked promising as they eventually settled into the game and were able to move forward finding the feet of outstanding attacking duo Esme Richards and Lizzy Campbell.

The first real chance of the game came to the Royals.

After a weak clearance, Lucy Crann was able to strike the ball sweetly, first time, sending it soaring into the top corner from 35 yards out. The goal was met by a chorus of joyous cheers from the Posh fans spurring them on to extend their lead.

However, stunned by the early goal, the Poly soon upped their game. Unfortunately the long balls from the back proved to be the Royal’s Achilles heel and a sumptuous ball from the corner and header from Courtney into the top corner brought the poly level.

The Poly continued to pepper the box with long range shots which were easily dealt with by Millar. Approaching the half time break Newcastle’s discipline began to deteriorate and aggression levels began to rise.

The Poly’s second goal came from a free kick, though the awarding certainly questionably. From the edge of the 18 yard box, Becky Salicki curled an impeccable free kick over the head of Millar to take Poly into the break with a 2-1 lead.

Disheartened by a disappointing end to the first half, the Royals upped their game and started the second with the same determination they had started the first. However, the Poly XI, spurred on by the tremendous support, were more than ready for battle to commence once again.

Due to the unrelenting poly attack, corners were coming thick and fast throughout the second half, some poor set piece defending by the Royals allowed the Poly to maintain pressure in the final third. The third goal came from a corner, lofted over the penalty box and poorly dealt with by the now exhausted Royals.

Frustration and tiredness began to show and the next 2 goals came in quick succession, from another long range shot and another free kick, from Salicki and Ruth Sutcliffe respectively.

As the game drew to a close, the disappointed Royals held their own, refusing to give anything other than 110% effort all the way to the final whistle. The final score was greeted by wild celebrations on the touchlines from the jubilant Poly fans.

The result is a real eye opener in the Stan Calvert cup this year and Northumbria will be hoping they can now push on and make a real challenge on the usually dominant Posh teams.