Groping Gavin Struck Off

A man convicted in Newcastle Crown court of vile sexual assault against three women has been struck off by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

Gavin Nicholson, previously of The Spire Washington Hospital just outside Newcastle, was found guilty of “groping” patients as they recovered from breast enlargement operations at the private establishments.

An NMC statement said: “First of all the registrant persistently touched the breast of a patient in the recovery room and secondly he touched the pubic area twice of another patient”.

The victims were assaulted in 2008 whilst staying in the recovery room of the hospital during their recovery from general anaesthetic. He was reported to have touched the pubic area of the patients as well.

He was jailed for eight years in July 2011 and it is only now that the NMC have struck Mr. Nicholson off from the working register as it was decided that the pervert could re-offend.

In 2010 BAAPS registered surgeons performed 9,418 breast-altering operations, leaving a reasonable estimate for the year at 25,000 not including the ever-growing number of patients that are beginning to opt to go abroad for treatment.

With recent coverage of the PIP breast implants dominating health in the press many women are said to be more skeptical of embarking on these operations.