Image may contain: Airport, People, Room, Indoors, Lobby, Shop, Person, Human

Fireworks set off in the Arndale send shoppers running ‘for their lives’

This comes after last months knife attack

Several fireworks were set off inside the Arndale shopping centre yesterday causing a panic as people fled.

The Daily Mail reports that a gang of teenagers were using them as a distraction in order to steal from the shops.

Customers fled terrified, and a woman was reportedly trampled in the rush to escape.

Image may contain: People, Walking, Airport, Pedestrian, Human, Person

This comes after five people were injured in a stabbing in the Arndale last month.

One witness, Shannon Jaques, described the situation as “terrifying” and claimed on Facebook that the fireworks were part of a scheme to distract people in order to shoplift.

"There was a loud bang and everyone in the centre started running for their lives assuming the worst", she said.

"I got locked in a back room in the shop I was in with other people until the staff knew what was happening. Armed police showed up."

Some shoppers mistakenly thought the incident was a “terrorist attack” One tweet read: "We got evacuated out the back of the shop thinking it was a terror attack. Kinda still shitting myself."

Another tweet read: "How fucking stupid do you have to be to set fireworks off INSIDE a shopping centre where people are STILL dealing with the repercussions of a terrorist attack!?"

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester police said: "Earlier this afternoon (Wednesday 27 November 2019), we responded to an incident at the Arndale Centre in Manchester city centre.

"Enquiries have since established that a number of fireworks were set off.

"No arrests have been made and enquiries are still ongoing."

David Allinson, Centre Director of Manchester Arndale confirmed the incident took place and said: "The safety of our shoppers and staff is always our first priority and we have been supporting the police in their response. The centre is open as normal.”