19-year-old woman confirmed as one of the Arndale stabbing victims

She is said to be in a stable condition

A 19-year-old is one of three victims stabbed at Manchester’s Arndale shopping centre. 

In a recent tweet, Greater Manchester Police said a 19-year-old woman had been taken to hospital with stab wounds.

Another woman was taken with stab injuries, alongside a man in his 50s.

It was reported five people had been stabbed, however in the latest statement the force have confirmed three people were stabbed, with an additional fourth person, who was not stabbed, being treated by paramedics.

Early reports stated a victim was being treated for shock.

Police and ambulance crews rushed to the Arndale centre around midday after reports “several” people had been stabbed.

A man in his 40s has been arrested for serious assault, and is currently being questioned by police.

Due to the nature of the crime, the counter-terrorism unit is leading the investigation. Currently the motive for the attack is not clear.

One eye-witness told The Manchester Tab: “Loads of shoppers ran out, then he ran out, threw the knife in a bin apparently then legged it. Then the police came out a second later and were like which way did he go?

“When I was walking home I saw a lady crying and people were hugging her so I was like are you ok? And she had seen it all first hand, him running around with a knife.”

Greater Manchester Police said: “We were called to reports of a multiple stabbing at the Arndale shopping centre at 11.15am earlier today (Friday 11 October 2019).

“At this stage we believe that four people were injured during the incident – not five as previously reported. We will update as the situation becomes clear.

“A 19-year-old woman– was taken to hospital with stab wounds. Another woman was also taken to hospital with stab injuries. Both their conditions are described as stable.

“A man in his 50s has also been taken to hospital with stab wounds.

“A fourth victim – a woman in her 40s – who was not stabbed – has been assessed and did not need to go to hospital following assessment by paramedics.

“A man in his 40s – who was arrested at the scene on suspicion of serious assault – remains in custody for questioning.