Three people have been stabbed at the Manchester Arndale

Counter-terrorism police are leading the investigation

Greater Manchester Police are responding to multiple stabbings in the Arndale Centre.

A video recorded on Church Street shows police officers apprehending the suspect with a taser.

https://twitter.com/flintbedrock/status/1182614268467920896

One eye witness told The Manchester Tab: "Loads of shoppers ran out, then he ran out, threw the knife in a bin apparently then legged it. Then the police came out a second later and were like which way did he go?

"I tried to walk around the Arndale cos I need to go to the post office on the other side but everything was shut off.

"When I was walking home I saw a lady crying and people were hugging her so I was like are you ok? And she had seen it all first hand, him running around with a knife."

Police are yet to report how many people have been injured, and if there are any fatalities.

North West Ambulance Service are reportedly treating four people at the scene.

The shopping centre has been evacuated.

UPDATE: 12:35

Manchester Evening News are reporting three people have been stabbed, and one person is being treated for shock.

According to MEN, two women have been stabbed in the hand, and a man has been stabbed in the back and stomach.

UPDATE: 12:42

Greater Manchester Police have released a statement saying a man in his 40s has been arrested for serious assault.

Greater Manchester Police said: "We are currently responding to an incident at the Arndale Shopping Centre in Manchester City Centre.

"Officers are in attendance and early enquiries suggest that several people have been stabbed.

"A man in his 40s has been arrested on suspicion of serious assault. He has been taken to custody for questioning.

"Enquiries remain ongoing."

Anyone with information should call the police on 101 quoting incident number 1055 of 11/10/2019, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800555111.

UPDATE: 12.49

GMP have confirmed Counter Terrorism Police North West are investigating the incident.

GMP have also confirmed five people have been stabbed.

They said: "Specialist officers are continuing to respond to an incident at the Arndale shopping centre in #Manchester city centre.

"We can confirm that five people have been stabbed and taken to hospital.

"In these early stages we are keeping an open mind about the motivation of this terrible incident and the circumstances as we know them.

"Given the location of the incident and its nature officers from Counter Terrorism Police North West are leading the investigation as we determine the circumstances.

"A man in his 40s – who was arrested at the scene on suspicion of serious assault – remains in custody for questioning."

UPDATE: 14.10

GMP have clarified three people have been stabbed, with a fourth person, who was not stabbed, being treated by paramedics at the scene.

A 19-year-old woman, another woman, and a man in his 50s are amongst the three people stabbed.

Both women have been described as in a stable condition.

Updates to follow.