Beloved music venue Meraki says it may be facing closure

‘Meraki’s survival is under serious threat’

Meraki, an independent music and arts venue, said last week it may be affected by plans to turn a nearby warehouse into flats.

Meraki is a well-loved arts and music venue situated in the Ten Streets area of Liverpool. It regularly hosts DJ nights and helps to promote up-and-coming artists (not to mention having some of the most Instagrammable pint cups).

The warehouse opposite Meraki has been proposed to be turned into residential flats, which Meraki says could affect how the music venue operates, particularly in relation to music that is played and how late Meraki is able to stay open at night.

On Instagram, Meraki said that “any residential property located next to a music venue is extremely likely to garner noise complaints”.

The posted continued: “The only solution is soundproofing to a very high standard – which typically will not happen without ourselves and you shouting about it and making a stand to the developers – letting them know about this, Meraki’s survival is under serious threat.”

Meraki has drafted a feedback letter it is calling on people to submit to the proposal developer. You can find it here.

The developers for the construction of the flats have been contacted for comment by The Liverpool Tab.