Are you ready for the big Varsity?

‘Give them nothing, take from them everything’ – King Leonidas

badminton Football handball John Moores liverpool john moores university rugby sport university of liverpool Varsity

We’ve got a reputation to uphold after smashing John Moores last year.

On Wednesday, we’ll take on neighbours JMU in a series of highly-anticipated sporting fixtures. We’ve been speaking to some of our warriors ahead of the annual clash.

Girls’ rugby union

Megan Stammers, social sec of the women’s rugby union, is full of confidence after putting JMU to the sword in the last meeting.

“We are surely the favourites to win in Varsity. Not only did we beat JMU 47-0 last year, but since last season their team had been demoted to the league below in BUCS.

“We are fairly confident, despite having been warned the JMU girls will put up a good fight and will be taking no prisoners. We have an intense training session in preparation for this annual match, and it should be a nail-biting, thrilling game to watch.”

Men’s rugby league

Andy Joy, the skipper of the men’s rugby league team, is out for revenge having been defeated by JMU last year.

“Despite losing to JMU last year, we have a decent chance of winning as long as we keep our heads up and do what we are good at, it is going to be a physical game.

“Our last match against Exeter was a confidence booster, and there is no reason we couldn’t perform to the same standards.”

Swimming

President of the swim team, Alice Cousins, told us: “We have some very strong swimmers this year, and a much stronger team in general. We have upped our chances of holding our lead against John Moores and we know everyone will try their best in order for us to come out victorious.”

Badminton

Samantha Dorward, second year Badmington player, assures a Uni Of victory by eliminating the opposing team, literally.

“This Badminton team will be going batshit crazy for the win #jmwho.”

Handball

First year Rachel Sellick is expecting a high-intensity encounter with JMU.

“I think it’ll be a real derby match. We’ve played JMU twice, won once and lost once, so going to be pretty intense.

“I am definitely excited for my first Varsity. It’s a great opportunity to represent the university in not just a regular sporting event, but one against a rival university.”

Girls’ football

Occupational Therapy second year, Mollie Young, is hoping to help the football team cap off a league-winning campaign in style.

“It’s a tough one to call, but we’ve been training really hard, so I’ve got a good feeling we are going to come out on top. We won the league, so we are on a high. We would love to get a big win to finish off the season.”